The following major events took place on the New Japan “Road to Dontaku” shows on April 23 and 24 in Koruaken Hall in Tokyo.
* In 6-Man Tag matches, Roppongi 3K and Suzuki-Gun traded DQ losses. On 4/23, Suzuki-Gun lost by DQ after Takashi Iizuki hit SHO with his Iron Fingers. Then on 4/24, Roppongi 3K was DQ’d after being caught attempting to hit Taichi with his own mic stand.
* Suzuki-Gun and Los Ingobernables de Japon faced off in 6 and 10-Man Tag matches, with Suzuki-Gun continously getting the better of LIJ and IWGP Intercontinental Champion Minoru Suzuki targeting Tetsuya Naito’s long-standing injured leg ahead of their future title match.
* El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemuru retained the IWGP Jr. Tag Team Championships over Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI in a screwy manner on 4/23 after Desperado hit Hiromu with one of the title belts, followed by the Guitarra de Angel on the title belt when the ref was knocked down.
* Tomohiro Ishii def. Toa Henare in a hard-hitting match that has been acclaimed as the two had been squaring off intensely in multi-man tags over the last couple of months.
* Towards the end of a 6-Man Tag on 4/24, IWGP Champion Kazuchika Okada attempted to take out Hiroshi Tanahashi with a Tombstone on the outside onto multiple chairs, but his manager Gedo stopped him as Okada is incensed to take out Tanahashi and break his record of consecutive title defenses at Dontaku on May 4.
* Finally, IWGP US Champion “Switchblade” Jay White retained his title over longtime friend and now rival, David Finlay Jr., with chairs and tables being used in the contest. After winning, White taunted Finlay, saying he doesn’t belong in the same ring with him and can never beat him.
Another “Road to Dontaku” show takes place on 4/27, with Hirooki Goto vs. Juice Robinson for the NEVER Title, followed by “Wrestling Hinokuni” on 4/29 with Suzuki vs. Naito for the Intercontinental Title and KES vs. EVIL and SANADA for the IWGP Tag Titles.
All shows are available on New Japan World.