MSG

The New York Post is featuring a lengthy article about the news that Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling will be holding the G1 Supercard event on April 6 at Madison Square Garden next year during WrestleMania 35 weekend.

The show, which will go head-to-head with NXT’s TakeOver special at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, will mark the first time the buildings will feature competing pro wrestling events in the New York area in what will be a huge weekend for wrestling.

ROH COO Joe Koff credits the ALL IN event, the self-financed project by Cody Rhodes and The Young BUcks, for changing the landscaping after selling out a 10,000-seat arena.

“It certainly changed the landscape in the thinking of what is is possible and I think in this world of possibility I think they really clearly illuminated what is a possible. I think if there was ‘All In’ or not, because of the weekend and what it represents, and our involvement always in that weekend, we probably would have thought a little more cautiously about the size of the crown. [‘All In’] certainly didn’t hurt.”

When reached for comment, WWE provided the following statement regarding another wrestling promotion booking the world’s most famous arena.

“MSG is, of course, free to work with ROH [Ring of Honor] however they want.”

A report by Dave Meltzer last month indicated WWE was doing all it could to block ROH and Sinclair from booking the building. While MSG officials declined to comment, Koff said they were very aggressive in wanting the date and how they worked things out.

“[MSG] did what they had to do as a business and I guess all of a sudden there was a phone call and we were able to work it out. … That’s probably their story to tell because they made the call [to us] and said let’s get on the phone and see if we can work this out. They wanted us. They knew that we would be good promotion. I think they were just looking for a satisfactory outcome for all parties.”