New Year's Revolution (RAW) PPV Results - 1/9/05 - San Juan, PR
Reported by Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
On Sunday, January 9, 2005 at 11:05 PM EST
- No match took place prior to the PPV on Sunday Night Heat. The Coach & Todd Grisham reviewed the events that led to the matches taking place later tonight in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
WWE New Year's Revolution (RAW) PPV Results - 1/9/05
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Report By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
NOTE: I had some problems with my DirecTV service at the start of the show. I apologize for the lack of detail in the first two matches.
World Tag Team Championship Match
William Regal & Eugene vs. Christian & Tyson Tomko
Before the match started, Eugene came out to the ring dressed up as Hulk Hogan. He started a "CHRISTIAN SUCKS" chant with the crowd. Eugene, playing up the Hogan character, "hulked up", pointed and gave Christian a big back body drop. William Regal gets the tag and started to work on Christian. Tomko got the tag soon after and gave Regal some hard rights and forearms. Christian gets the tag and gives Regal a big forearm causing Regal's nose to bust open. Eugene eventually got the tag and gave Tomko Hogan style punches. Eugene then appeared to injury his leg when he hit Tomko with a dropkick. Tomko tried to pick him up, but Eugene wouldn't budge and stayed on the ground. Eugene rolled up Tomko soon after for the pinfall.
Winners & STILL World Tag Team Champions: William Regal & Eugene
After the match, WWE officials helped Eugene who appeared to be legitimately injured.
- Backstage, Edge approached Christian as he was coming to the back after the match. Edge told Christian that he wanted to talk to him about becoming World Champion. Both JR and Lawler wonder what Edge meant by that.
WWE Women's Championship Match
Lita (c) vs. Trish Stratus
Right as the match began, Lita jumped on Trish at ringside with a Thesz press. Lita landed in awkward fashion and grabbed her left knee right away. Trish put Lita back in the ring and hit a DDT right away. Trish covered Lita and got the pinfall (this didn't look to be planned and was done quickly because of Lita's injury).
Winner & NEW WWE Women's Champion: Trish Stratus
- Backstage, both Edge and Christian confront Eric Bischoff. Edge proposed that Christian take his spot in the Elimination Chamber and that whoever won tonight would defend the title against him tomorrow on RAW. Bischoff shot down the idea and said 14,000 fans paid to see the advertised match. Shawn Michaels then walks up. HBK said he has two responsibilities - count the pinfall, count the submission. HBK tells Edge he can trust him. He said he would have to fight back however if anyone touched him during the match. HBK told Edge he would love to count the 1, 2, 3 just for him.
- A video for WWE 24/7 On Demand Service is shown.
WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Shelton Benjamin (c) vs. Maven
The match starts with both locking up. Benjamin pushes Maven to the corner and the referee breaks it up. Maven flips off the crowd and gets some good heat. Maven leaves the ring and gets the crowd going against him yet again. He gets on the mic and tells the referee to not start the count. Maven stands up on a steel chair and said he doesn't understand spanish. He said he isn't sure how many of the people in the crowd speak english, so he would talk real slow. Maven said in order for him to become the new Intercontinental Champion, he needs to concentrate and can't have the crowd talking jibberish. He tells the crowd to shut the hell up in spanish. Maven then starts to leave when the referee starts the count. Maven runs back in to stop the count and Benjamin gets a roll-up to get the quick 1, 2, 3.
Winner & STILL WWE Intercontinental Champion: Shelton Benjamin
After the match, Maven gets on the mic and tells Benjamin that didn't count. He requests a re-match not tomorrow, not next week...right now. Benjamin said he already beat him. Maven taunts at Benjamin, saying he knows we already have a Women's Champion, but it apppears we now have two. The crowd starts to chant the "GOODBYE" song. Benjamin walks back to the ring staring down Maven. Maven said he has something in common with Trish, they both don't have a set of webos.
Benjamin hits the ring and gives Maven a big T-Bone Suplex. Benjamin makes the cover and gets the 1, 2, 3.
Winner & STILL WWE Intercontinental Champion: Shelton Benjamin
- Backstage, Chris Benoit is shown preparing for the upcoming Elimination Chamber Match later tonight to determine a new World Heavyweight Champion.
- Backstage, Todd Grisham is with Muhammad Hassan and Khosrow Daivari. Hassan said the footage that was just shown from RAW last week was biased. He said all it showed was them beating up Americans. Hassan said as far as he is concerned, JR & The King got what they deserved last week. Grisham brings up that King is veteran and asks if he is neverous. Daivari chimes in and said Hassan isn't. Hassan said he was excited to compete in Puerto Rico and then calls them second class citizens. He said the Puerto Rico people can no doubt relate, but discovered that they treat them the same way Americans do. Hassan said they had problems at the local airport and knows it was done on purpose. He promises that his "Resolution" will be fulfilled tonight. Daivari quickly translates and here we go.
Muhammad Hassan w/ Daivari vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler w/ JR
(There is no commentary for this match) The match starts with both locking up and Hassan giving Lawler a big scoop slam. Lawler then gives Hassan a scoop slam as well. Hassan gives Lawler four big scoop slams. Lawler rolls out of the ring to the outside. Hassan taunts as JR tries to help Lawler on the outside. Lawler gives a charging Hassan big boot followed by a clothesline. Lawler looks to give Hassan a big right hand, but Hassan rolls out of the ring quickly. JR gets in Hassan's face, allowing Lawler to come out and knock out Hassan. Lawler puts Hassan back in the ring and Hassan takes him down with a quick elbow. Lawler gets a roll-up, but the referee is distracted trying to put the turnbuckle pad back on in the corner. Lawler only gets a two count and he complains to the referee. Hassan pushes Lawler into the exposed turnbuckle and then applies a camel clutch.
Hassan continues to apply the camel clutch as Daivari yells at JR. Hassan starts to work on Lawler's shoulder a bit with a few kicks and then reapplies the clutch. Hassan covers Lawler, but only gets a two count. Hassan gives Lawler a suplex, goes for the cover, but gets a two count yet again. Lawler fights back getting on his feet and landing a few elbows to Hassan's gut. Hassan stops the momentum by giving Lawler a big knee to the gut. Hassan gives Lawler a quick reverse neckbreaker. Hassan nails Lawler's head off the corner and lands a few right hands. Lawler then responds with a few right hands of his own with the crowd into every punch. Lawler lands a dropkick on Hassan and then connects with the jumping punch from the top. Lawler makes the cover, but only gets a two count. Lawler gives Hassan a big DDT, gets the cover, but Daivari puts Hassan's leg on the bottom rope. Lawler goes to the outside and starts chasing after Daivari. JR stops Daivari as he gets back into the ring. Lawler chases Daivari out of the ring, but Hassan grabs him and hits a facebuster. Hassan covers and gets the 1, 2, 3.
Winner: Muhammad Hassan
- Backstage, Todd Grisham is with Batista and asks him his chances tonight. Batista said he is a wrecking machine and no one can stop him. Randy Orton walks up and wants to ask a question everyone wants to know - will he go after the World Title or be Triple H's stooge. Orton said Triple H doesn't give a damn about him and all he cares about is the World Title. He said the only reason Triple H started Evolution was so they could protect him. Orton puts him on the spot and asks if it comes down to him and Triple H, will he kick his ass or kiss it. Batista tells Orton he should worry more about himself, but said if he has a shot at the World Title he will take it.
- WrestleMania Recall: Shawn Michaels defeating Bret Hart to become the new WWF Champion.
- Jim Ross plugs WrestleMania 21 coming up. The Coach then joins him on commentary to sub for Jerry Lawler. He insults JR about Lawler losing his match against Hassan.
Kane vs. Gene Snitsky
The match starts with both Kane and Snitsky staring each other down. Snitsky gives Kane a headbutt, knee to the gut and then lands a few hard rights. Kane takes out Snitsky with a big clothesline. Kane lands a few elbows and uppercuts in the corner on Snitsky. Kane gives Snitsky a scoop slam followed by two elbow drops and a leg drop. Kane starts to choke Snitsky as the referee breaks it up. Snitsky fights back with some right hands, Kane blocks a big boot attempt and comes back with a big uppercut. Kane gives Snitsky a powerslam for a two count. Snitsky fights back with a big sidewalk slam. Snitsky gives Kane a clothesline in the corner and takes him down with a clothesline. Snitsky goes to the outside and removes the padding around the ring. Kane gives him a baseball slide, but Snitsky fights back with a knee to the gut. Snitsky looks to powerbomb Kane on the concrete floor when Kane counters and gives Snitsky a big back body drop. Snitsky lands on the concrete floor with impact and then gets thrown back inside the ring. Kane goes up to the top rope, jumps and Snitsky blocks the clothesline with a boot to the gut.
Snitsky then puts Kane's back against the steel post and pulls his arm back, causing Kane to scream in pain. Snitsky gets back in the ring and lands a few kicks to Kane's back. Snitsky gives Kane a scoop slam and hits a quick elbow drop. Snitsky applies a modified bearhug as Kane attempts to get out of it. The crowd gets behind Kane as he starts to fight back to break up the bearhug. Kane lands three big uppercuts and signals for the chokeslam. Kane slaps his hand around Snitsky's neck, but Snitsky counters and gives Kane a scoop slam. Kane sits up right away and Snitsky gives him a boot to the face. Kane sits up again and Snitsky gives him another boot. Kane sits up for a third time and Snitsky once again kicks him in the face. Snitsky pulls Kane to the outside and throws him into the steel steps. Snitsky grabs a steel chair, runs and Kane gives him a big boot. Kane throws Snitsky back in the ring. Kane throws Snitsky into the corner and lands a few hard rights with elbows included. Kane gives Snitsky a sidewalk slam followed by a big boot. Kane goes up to the top, jumps and connects with the jumping clothesline. Kane grabs Snitsky, but he gives Kane a few elbows. Snitsky drops Kane throat first over the top rope.
Kane gives Snitsky a quick uppercut. Both slap their hands across their throats, but Snitsky breaks it up with a knee. Snitsky starts to bite Kane's ear and they reference Mike Tyson on commentary. Kane misses a big boot, falls down and then sits up quickly. Kane signals for the Tombstone, lifts Snitsky up on his shoulders and drops him hard connecting. Kane goes for the cover and gets the 1, 2 and 3.
- The commercial for the Royal Rumble is shown.
- Back live, Jerry Lawler is back on commentary along with The Coach and Jim Ross. The Coach insults Lawler for losing his match earlier tonight.
- Earlier today, Stacy Keibler is shown at a pool. Maria and Christy Hemme were shown as well. Simon Dean then shows up and he knocks an overweight guy into a pool. Val Venis is shown in the pool with Stacy Keibler. He puts her on his shoulders and they want a chicken fight. La Resistance and The Hurricane & Rosey join in on the fight as well. Christy Hemme and Rosey win (Christy took off Maria's top as she feel back).
- Up next is the Elimination Chamber to determine a new World Heavyweight Champion.
- Live in the arena, the cage starts to lower. Backstage, Triple H approaches Batista. He asks if he heard him say that if the opportunity arose, he would take the World Championship. Batista said he learned a lot from Triple H and Ric Flair. He said to never let your opponent know what you have planned. Batista makes it clear he is a member of Evolution and has his back if he has his. Triple H smiles and Ric Flair said Batista will always have his back. Batista adds though if Triple H gets eliminatined before him, nothing will stop him from going after the World Title.
- RAW General Manager Eric Bischoff comes out to the ring with the World Title in hand. Bischoff gets on the mic and introduces the crowd to one of his greatest creations - the Elimination Chamber. He reminds everyone that one of six WWE superstars tonight will become the next World Heavyweight Champion. Bischoff welcomes everyone to New Year's Revolution.
- Lilan Garcia goes over the rules: Two participants will start the match. At the end of five minutes, another participant will enter the match. This will continue throughout the match. Participants can be eliminated by pinfall or submission. Special Guest Referee Shawn Michaels comes out and here we go.
Elimination Chamber Match - World Heavyweight Title
Special Guest Referee: Shawn Michaels
Triple H vs. Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho vs. Edge vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista
Edge comes out first and enters one of the glass chambers in the corner. Triple H comes out second and enters the second glass chamber. (Funny Note: The camera man continues to bump into HBK wherever he walks. HBK looks to be having a laugh with the guy each time it happens by accident) Randy Orton comes out third and enters a glass chamber. Batista comes out and enters the last glass chamber. Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho will start the match.
The bell rings and here we go. Both Benoit and Jericho lock up. They back up into the corner and Benoit gets in a slap on Jericho. Jericho gives Benoit a quick takedown, but Benoit counters and takes down Jericho as well. Jericho gives Benoit a quick knee to the gut followed by a few forearms to the back. Benoit responds with a loud chop to the chest. Benoit gives Jericho another followed by a big takedown. Benoit nails Jericho's head off turnbuckle, but Jericho fights back with a few chops of his own. Benoit attempts the Sharpshooter, but Jericho rolls out of it and misses a Walls of Jericho attempt. Benoit then gives Jericho a big german suplex. Benoit attempts the Crossface, but Jericho rolls out of it and tries another Walls of Jericho attempt that gets broken up by Benoit. Benoit lands a chop on Jericho, goes off the ropes, but Jericho takes him down quickly. Jericho gives Benoit a back suplex, but only gets a two count. Jericho goes up to the top, but Benoit cuts him off with a punch and two big chops. Benoit goes up to the top with Jericho and gives him a big superplex. Time expires & Triple H enters the match.
Triple H grabs Chris Benoit and starts to land a few hard rights. Triple H takes out Jericho with a high knee. Triple H works on Benoit as Jericho gets involved. Jericho lands a few chops on Triple H, irish whips him into the other corner, but Triple H gives him a big clothesline. Triple H grabs Benoit and throws him to the outside on the steel. Triple H throws Benoit face first into the chains that surround the Chamber. Triple H throws Jericho over the top rope and he lands on the steel surrounding. Benoit is busted open and Triple H gives him a few hard rights. Triple H throws Benoit into the chains again. Triple H covers Benoit back in the ring, but only gets a two count. Triple H goes for the Pedigree on Benoit, but Jericho breaks it up with a big forearm. Triple H then attempts a Pedigree on Jericho, but Jericho counters and back body drops Triple H to the steel surrounding over the top rope. Jericho grabs Triple H by the legs and pulls him up in the air allowing Triple H to hit the steel hard on his back. Jericho suplexes Triple H over the top rope back into the ring, goes for the cover, but only gets a two count. Benoit gives Jericho a slap to the neck followed by a quick elbow drop. Benoit gives Jericho a swinging neckbreaker. Time expires & Edge enters the match.
Edge goes after Benoit and Jericho. Edge spears Jericho in the corner, does the same to Triple H in the opposite corner and then gives Triple H a bit DDT. Edge covers Triple H, but only gets a two count. Edge gives Benoit a big belly-to-belly suplex, but Jericho takes him down with a dropkick. Jericho covers Triple H for a two count. Jericho gives Edge a sprinboard dropkick, allowing Edge to fall hard on the surrounding steel. Jericho gives Benoit a stiff knee to the gut. Jericho goes after Edge, but Edge grabs him and catapults him into the chain surrounding the Chamber. Triple H takes down Edge with a running knee. Triple H looks to give Edge a Pedigree on the steel, but Edge counters and catapults Triple H into the chain. Edge goes up to the top and gives Benoit a jumping clothesline. Jericho is now busted open as Benoit applies the Crossface on Edge. Edge finds his way out of it. Jericho gives Edge a big kick to the back of the head. Triple H gives Jericho a spinebuster. Benoit gives Edge a northern lights suplex for a two count. Triple H hits the Pedigree on Jericho. Time expires & Randy Orton enters the match.
Randy Orton comes in and takes out Edge. Orton gives Triple H a cross-body off the top. Orton gives Triple H some right hands in the corner followed by some kicks. Orton nails Triple H's face off the chain surrounding. Orton gives Triple H a powerslam and then gives Jericho the RKO soon after quickly. Orton goes for the RKO on Benoit, but Benoit counters into the Crossface. Triple H looks on, taunting at Orton. Triple H slaps Orton. Benoit breaks the hold and applies the Sharpshooter on Triple H. Orton breaks it up giving Benoit the RKO. Edge looks to hit the Spear, but he takes out Shawn Michaels instead. Edge then gives Orton the Spear, covers, but HBK is knocked out. Edge picks up HBK and slaps him. HBK gives Edge the Sweet Chin Music. Jericho hits the Lionsault, covers, 1...2...3. Edge has been eliminated. Triple H attempts another Pedigree on Jericho, but Benoit breaks it up giving him three big german suplexes. Benoit goes up to the top turnbuckle, but climbs up on one of the glass chambers, jumps and hits a HUGE jumping headbutt on Triple H. Jericho applies the Walls of Jericho on Triple H and Benoit joins in with a Crossface. Time expires & Batista enters the match.
Batista hits the ring (which was delayed) and breaks up the hold that is being applied by Jericho and Benoit. Batista gives Orton a big spinebuster and takes out Jericho and Benoit. Triple H gets on his feet and gets in Batista's face. Benoit knocks out Batista. Orton and Benoit work on Batista as Jericho works on Triple H. Batista gives Benoit and Orton a double clothesline. Batista throws Jericho over the top rope taking out a camera man. Batista lifts up Orton choking him when Benoit takes out Batista's knee. Benoit chokes Batista in the corner as WWE referees help the injured camera man. Triple H grabs Orton and throws him into the chain surrounding. Jerico then gives Triple H a bulldog on the steel floor. Batista nails Benoit into the chain. Benoit counters another attack by Batista, throwing him into the chain. Benoit gives Batista some chops, goes off the ropes, but Batista catches him and hits a big spinebuster. Batista picks up Jericho and gives him a spinebuster on Benoit. Batista pins Benoit and gets the 1, 2, 3. Chris Benoit has been eliminated. Batista catches Jericho off the ropes and hits a big slam. Batista gives Jericho a big sitdown powerbomb. Batista covers...1, 2, 3. Chris Jericho has been eliminated. We are down to Triple H, Randy Orton and Batista.
Orton gives Triple H a back body drop on the steel. Triple H fights back and catapults Orton into the chain. Orton is now busted open as Triple H throws him back into the ring. Triple H rests in the corner a bit as Batista works on Orton. Batista holds Orton as Triple H starts to slap him. Triple H gets on Orton and gives him some hard rights. Batista picks up Orton and hits a running powerslam for a two count. Triple H gives Orton a big spinebuster, cover, Orton kicks out after two. Triple H stands up Orton and gives him a huge clothesline off the ropes. Triple H covers and Orton kicks out again. Orton lands a few right hands on both Triple H and Batista. Triple H counters an RKO, throws Orton into Batista, Batista goes for the sitdown powerbomb, but Orton gives him a low blow and hits the RKO. Orton covers Batista...1...2...3! Batista has been eliminated. Triple H grabs Orton, but Orton takes Triple H and throws him into the chain surrounding. Orton hits the RKO on Triple H in the middle of the ring. Batista distracts HBK. Flair gets in and HBK starts to give him some hard kicks on the ground.
Before Batista leaves, he takes out Orton with a big running clothesline. Both Batista and Flair leave the ring. Back in the ring, Triple H gives Orton the Pedigree. A bloody Triple H falls on Orton's chest, referee Shawn Michaels counts the pin...1...2...3.
Winner & NEW World Heavyweight Champion: Triple H
After the match, Batista and Ric Flair come in the ring and celebrate with Triple H. Batista puts Triple H on his shoulders as he raises the World Title high in the air. Flair smiles and claps on Triple H as well. Triple H hugs Batista. All three remaining members of Evolution raise their hands in the air as the PPV comes to a close...