Reported by Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
Final Resolution PPV Results - 1/14/07 (New World Champion & more)
On Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 11:26 PM EST Here are highlights from TNA's 30 Minute Pre-Show before the Final Resolution PPV:
- The TNA promo hits and then a promo for Final Resolution plays.
- The show opens live with Raven caning Johnny Devine in the middle of the ring after a match had just supposedly taken place. Kazarian was in the ring looking on.
- Christy Hemme was shown outside with the TNA fans.
- Mike Tenay & Don West plug that fans can text who they think will win the 30 Minute Iron Man Match tonight between Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe. To vote for Kurt Angle, send "KURT" to 25000. To vote for Samoa Joe, send "JOE" to 25000.
- Backstage, Leticia was with Bob Backlund. They announced earlier that Backlund would be taking part in the PCS Finals tonight. Backlund yelled at her for the way she dressed and asked if her mom knew she dressed like that. He then used some big words on Leticia and asked if she knew what they meant. She said no. This promo just keep going and going and would have been better if it was stopped a lot faster.
- A video package for AJ Styles vs. Rhino in a Last Man Standing Match tonight aired.
- Backstage, Jeremy Borash plugs the texting for Angle vs. Joe. The results as of now are 50% and 50% for both. Rhino then walks up and tells AJ Styles that he won't allow him to stand after tonight.
- Lance Hoyt defeated Chase Stevens. A.J. Pierzynski and Dale Torborg were at ringside during the match yelling at Hoyt. The finish saw Hoyt get Stevens up on his shoulders and then plant him face first in the ring to get the pinfall. After the match, Hoyt left the ring and pulled Torborg over the guard railing. A.J. Pierzynski then hit Hoyt with a steel chair. We could then hear Shane Douglas on the mic and he is in the ring with Chase Stevens. Douglas yells at Stevens, telling him the experiment is over and that he has no business wearing his black and gold colors to the ring. Stevens yells back at Douglas and asks him what he would do if he did it again. Stevens shoved Douglas into the corner and TNA security broke it up.
- A video package for LAX vs. Team 3D for the NWA World Tag Team Titles tonight airs.
- Mike Tenay & Don West announce that the winner of tonight's 30 Minute Iron Man Match between Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe will become the #1 contender for the NWA World Title.
- A video package for Abyss vs. Sting vs. Christian Cage in an Elimination Match for the NWA World Title tonight airs.
- Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with NWA World Champion Abyss and James Mitchell. Mitchell talks about what a pain Sting has been for them the last few months when Christian Cage and Tomko walk up. Cage says he isn't here to fight and that he wants to talk to Mitchell about something. Abyss and Tomko then have a stare down as Mitchell and Cage leave.
- Back live, Christy Hemme asks the fans who they think will win the 30 Minute Iron Man Match. Most of the fans say Kurt Angle.
- A video package for Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe in a 30 Minute Iron Man Match tonight airs.
- Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with Kurt Angle. Angle says he is more focused then he has ever been right now. He said he came to TNA for two reason - to end Samoa Joe's undefeated streak and to become the NWA World Champion.
- Don West does the "hard sell" before the PPV begins.
TNA Final Resolution PPV Results - 1/14/07
Location: Orlando, Florida
Commentators: Mike Tenay & Don West
Report By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
- The new TNA opening hits. A video package narrated by the great Muhammad Ali airs highlighting the 30 Minute Iron Man Match tonight between Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe and the NWA World Title Elimination Match tonight with Abyss, Sting and Christian Cage.
- A graphic opening hits welcoming us to Final Resolution. We go live where a series of pyro goes off in the Impact Zone.
- AJ Styles' music hits to kick off the PPV. Styles is wearing new ring gear.
- Rhino defeated AJ Styles in a Last Man Standing Match. The rules for this match is that someone must be pinned and the person who is pinned must stand back up before the finish of a 10 count. Lots of high flying attacks from Rhino early on. Styles responded with offense of his own, including a big dropkick. Styles hit a big splash from the top rope on Rhino, covered and got the pinfall. Rhino stood up at the 8 count. Styles took out Rhino on the outside of the ring with a big flip dive over the top rope. Back in the ring, Rhino hit Styles with a big spinebuster and got the pinfall. Styles got back up at the 8 count. Rhino leaves the ring and goes for a table, but AJ crotches him on it. Back in the ring, Rhino takes out AJ with two big Gores and gets the pinfall. Styles slowly tries to get back to his feet, while noticing Rhino is ready for another attack. The finish sees Styles almost up at 8, but he looks at Rhino and says "screw you" and sits back down to give Rhino the win. After the match, Rhino gets on the mic and says he may have won, but that Styles was still standing. They brawled up the heel ramp and Rhino took out Styles with a piledriver at the top. Rhino put a table up against the tunnel with AJ on it, but when Rhino charged, AJ moved and Rhino crashed through the table.
- A video package for the X Division Title Match with Christopher Daniels, Jerry Lynn and Chris Sabin aired.
- Backstage, Leticia was with Jerry Lynn. She called him the pioneer of the X Division and Lynn took that like she was calling him old. Lynn said he was 43 and could still go with some of the best in TNA. He called Chris Sabin a punk and told Christopher Daniels that he still helps him learn new things every time they hook up. Lynn said, "Wrestling 101 is about to begin" and left.
- Chris Sabin defeated Jerry Lynn & Christopher Daniels in a Triple Threat Match to become the NEW X Division Champion. Daniels was knocked out of the match early on thanks to some offense from Sabin. This left Sabin and Lynn. Sabin and Lynn went back and forth, with Sabin getting the better of Lynn. Daniels got back in and locked on his full body clutch submission on Lynn. Sabin broke that up with a big leg drop from the top. Sabin then toyed with Daniels, locking his arms behind his back. Sabin slapped Daniels' head around a few times and then put him in the tree of woe. Sabin hit his big hanging dropkick in the corner. Lynn then fires back with a big double dropkick on both Sabin and Daniels. Lynn then leaped over Daniels from the top and hit a big huricanranna on Sabin! Don West added, "Is this 2002 all over again?" The fans in Orlando were really behind Lynn. Big spot off the top rope by all three men crashing to the ring. Big BME by Daniels on Sabin, which Lynn followed up with a big sitdown powerbomb on Sabin. Lynn grabbed Daniels and hit him with a big modified side slam. The finish saw Lynn counter an Angel's Wings attempt by Daniels into a Cradle Piledriver. When Lynn went for the cover, Sabin rolled Lynn up quickly to get the pinfall to become the NEW X Division Champion. They showed highlights of the match afterwards as Sabin celebrated on the heel ramp.
- Backstage, Jeremy Borash was with Kevin Nash. Borash talked about how Nash's "boys" were in the Finals of the PCS Series tonight. Nash agreed and then introduced Bob Backlund as one of the judges tonight. Nash tried to get Backlund to talk about old stories on the road, but Backlund said he has never been in a car with Nash. Backlund asks if Nash did hard things in this PCS Series such as 1,000 squad, 1,000 push-ups and teaching them the crossface chicken wing. Nash said they did musical chairs, limbo and some drinking contests. Nash added that he was counting on Backlund tonight. Eric Young then walks up and tells Borash they need to go out shopping since his job depends on it. Borash said he couldn't because there was a PPV going on right now. Young says okay, but they have to soon. Young talks to Bob Backlund, shakes his hand and says he voted for him in 1995. Backlund said his election was in 2000.
- Finals of the Paparazzi Championship Series (10 Minute Time Limit): Jeremy Borash is in the ring and announces that the Finals of the PCS Series will now be taking place. Borash introduces the founder of the PCS - Kevin Nash. Nash joins Tenay and West on commentary. Borash then introduces the judges for the contest tonight - Samolian Joe (a masked wrestler from Madagascar), Big Fat Oily Guy and Bob Backlund.
Alex Shelley and Austin Starr then made their entrances for the match. This match has a 10 minute time limit. Lots of solid back and forth action between Shelley and Starr. Shelley took out Starr with a big suicide dive through the ropes on the outside. Big moonsault by Shelley on Starr back in the ring. Starr grabs some water and spits it in the face of Shelley, attempts a suplex, but Shelley blocks it and drills his boot into Starr's head. Shelley then hits a combination forearm and then an irish whip face first into the corner on Starr. Starr comes back with a big dropkick, but not much long later does Shelley respond with a backcracker. Shelley then goes to the ring apron, leaps over the top rope and drives Starr's head down into the mat hitting a big DDT. Shelley covered, but Starr kicked out. With 10 seconds left, Starr applies the Camel Clutch on Shelley. Shelley refuses to tap out and the match ends.
Jeremy Borash leaves the ring to go get the scorecards from the judges at ringside. 1 vote for Austin Starr from Samolian Joe (a masked wrestler from Madagascar). 1 vote for Alex Shelley from the Big Fat Oily Guy (who was eating a bag of Doritos as they read off his vote). When it came time to read Bob Backlund's vote, he came into the ring and Borash couldn't understand his scorecard. It turns out Backlund decided to judge Shelley and Starr on different categories. At one point the crowd got so quiet when Backlund read off his scoring that you could clearly hear a fan in the crowd yell out quote, "What the f*ck?" That got a big laugh from the crowd. In the end, Backlund's different scoring turned out to be a Draw. The fans booed. Kevin Nash left the announce table and told Borash to announce that a 5 minute Overtime will take place.
As soon as the bell rang, Shelley and Starr began exchanging pinfall attempts very quickly. In the end, Shelley rolled up Starr to get the pinfall to win the PCS Series.
Winner of the PCS Series: Alex Shelley
After the match, Kevin Nash came in and gave Alex Shelley the trophy. Jay Lethal, Sonjay Dutt and Senshi all came down to congratulate Shelley on his win. Starr then starts arguing with Kevin Nash. Nash eventually knocks Starr down. Starr grabbed a mic and said he was sick of this. He said he didn't come to TNA to jump on pogo sticks and do the limbo. Starr said he damn sure wasn't in TNA to revive someone elses career. He said the only person he respects is Senshi. Starr tells Senshi they should leave. Senshi disagrees. Starr says maybe you didn't hear me and told him to leave with him again, but this time in "Warrior tone." The crowd laughs at this. Starr then slaps Senshi and Senshi goes after Starr. Starr gets dumped to the outside and gets in Bob Backlund's face. Starr then pie faces Backlund and Backlund grabs him, locking on the crossface chicken wing to end this very long segment.
- A video package showing James Storm turning on Chris Harris to spell the end for America's Most Wanted is shown.
- Current TNA mobile results for who fans think will win the 30 Minute Iron Man Match: Samoa Joe with 60% and Kurt Angle with 40%.
- James Storm w/ Gail Kim defeated Petey Williams. Pretty quick back and forth paced match, with Petey started to gain a comeback towards the end. Storm hit an impressive spot on Petey from the top rope, flipping him forward. The finish saw Storm roll up Petey while holding the ropes to get the pinfall. After the match, Petey argued with the referee that Storm held the ropes. The referee asked the fans and they agreed. The referee then asked Gail Kim. Storm told Kim not to say anything. Storm then took out Petey in the corner. He left the ring and got handcuffs. Storm handcuffed Petey to the corner. Storm then got a beer bottle and teased hitting Storm with it. When Kim got in his face, Storm teased hitting Kim with it. Kim then gave Storm a low blow and started hitting him over the back. Jacqueline of WWE fame hit the ring and started taking out Kim. Jacqueline hit a big leg drop on Kim from the top rope and then celebrated with James Storm as they left.
- A video package runs highlighting some of the recent antics of VKM.
- Voodoo Kin Mafia Speak: BG James gets on the mic and says they have no choice but to declare victory over Vince McMahon and DX. James said they did everything they could have possibly done and runs down all of their antics that included camping outside WWE Headquarters, confronting Triple H at a Raw House Show and then welcoming Shawn Michaels to the Alamo in San Antonio. He added that no one likes to see a man down, speaking about Triple H, and wishes Paul a quick recovery. BG then says he didn't understand why Vince McMahon didn't accept their $1 million challenge since it would have brought him big ratings. He added that it would be the kind of ratings Vince got by having the former Mr. Spears pin your WWE Champion on national television. BG added that it also wouldn't be the kind of ratings Vince got by having two fake celebrities fight in his ring. He said he watched that and heard the boo's in the crowd. BG said those boo's then changed to something else - a TNA chant. The fans in Orlando chant TNA loudly. He said Vince insults the intelligence of wrestling fans every Monday night on Raw. BG then said Vince (and sings), WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT. BG put the mic on the crowd in Orlando and they finished the famous song. BG smiled and said you couldn't script that even if you wanted to. He said TNA was here to stay, even if Vince liked it or not.
This is where things got weird. Christy Hemme walked out with a mic and said she had to say something. She said if they were the foundation of DX and Triple H and Shawn Michaels were the foundation as well, then how come they never mention Joanie Laurer, aka Chyna? Hemme then started talking about women in the business always being ignored. She mentioned how Lita pretty much ran away from the business a few months ago. Hemme said she wants to get in the ring and wrestle. She said other women in TNA want to do the same such as Traci Brooks, So Cal Val and others. Hemme said women are not disposable like men think they are. The fans kind of went against this part of the segment chanting WE WANT WRESTLING. Hemme agreed (nice save). Then they started chanting BORING and Hemme pretty much gave up on the promo. BG told her to come back in the ring. He said he agreed with everything she said and that some men in this business do think that way. Kip James then took the mic away from BG and said he was one of those guys. Kip calls Christy a slut and told her she should go get her old job back stripping. He told Christy to never interrupt him ever again and said girls were only good for two things...BG pulls the mic away. Christy agrees with Kip and then slaps him.
- Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with Team 3D. Brother Ray said tonight was the old school vs. the new school - the old punks vs. the new punks. He said they are jealous of LAX because they have something they want - the NWA World Tag Team Titles. Ray promised a win tonight over LAX. When 3D left, Sting walked up and asked Borash if he had seen Abyss. Borash said he hadn't.
- LAX vs. Team 3D for the NWA World Tag Team Titles ended in a No Contest - LAX retain the tag titles. Some pretty vicious power by Brother Ray early on with Homicide. Some double teaming by LAX on Devon. Big splash by Hernandez on Devon in the corner. Ray was slightly busted open on the ring apron. Devon makes a big comeback on both members of LAX. Big back drop by Hernandez on Devon that Homicide follows up with a big elbow drop. Hot tag by Brother Ray. Team 3D does the big "whazzup" drop. They hit the 3D on Homicide and then send Hernandez to the outside. The finish then saw Brother Runt come out down the ramp wearing his Santa outfit. Runt gets up on the top rope, takes a drink of alcohol and then leaps off the top rope splashing Homicide. The referee sees this and calls for the bell. Both Brother Ray and Brother Devon have both shocked and confused looks on their faces. After the match, Brother Ray grabs Runt and sends him to the outside crashing into the ring barrier.
- Final poll TNA mobile results for who fans think will win the 30 Minute Iron Man Match: Samoa Joe with 57% and Kurt Angle with 43%.
- Backstage, Jeremy Borash was with Samoa Joe. Joe tells Kurt Angle, "Welcome to the climax. Welcome to the final resolution." Joe says when this first started between them, the question on everyone's mind was who was the best? He said when Angle found out who the best was, it drove him nuts. Joe said Angle made this personal. He ends the interview saying he will torture Angle for 30 minutes.
- A video package for Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe in a 30 Minute Iron Man Match airs.
- Kurt Angle defeated Samoa Joe in a 30 Minute Iron Man Match. Here are some of the highlights from the match:
* Exchange of headlocks and takedowns early on. Angle backs off Joe twice and bails to the outside of the ring to regain some composure.
* More exchanges and uppercuts from Angle on Joe. Joe connects with a big kick to Angle's head.
* Joe applies neck submission on Angle. Big overhead suplex by Angle on Joe. Angle applies headlock on Joe at 22:00 min mark.
* Another big takedown and headlock by Angle on JOe at the 21:00 min mark. Joe fights out of it and more offense from Angle on Joe in the corner.
* Joe comes back with a big suplex on Angle. Joe sends Angle out of the ring and drives through the ropes, hitting Angle at the 19:36 mark. It looks like Joe may have caught his head on the ring barrier.
* Pin attempt by Joe and Angle kicks out. Another overhead suplex by Angle on Joe at 18:11 min mark. Joe kicks out when Angle attempts a pinfall.
* Joe attempts the Muscle Buster, Angle counters and then Joe locks in the rear naked choke at 17:20. Angle taps out at 17:06 ---> Samoa Joe = 1, Kurt Angle = 0
* Good psychology by Don West saying it looks like Angle may have tapped out quickly to keep his strength for the rest of the match.
* Angle applies headlock on Joe and Joe responds with a big kick. Angle then applies the Ankle Lock. Joe taps out at 13:59 min mark ---> Samoa Joe = 1, Kurt Angle = 1
* Mike Tenay also adds that Joe might have tapped out quickly as well so his ankle doesn't suffer a large amount of damage. Another headlock by Angle into an Ankle Lock. Joe taps out again at 11:05 min mark ---> Kurt Angle = 2, Samoa Joe = 1
* Angle with an Olympic Slam at 8:37 on Joe. Joe kicks out during a pinfall attempt.
* Joe with Muscle Buster on Angle at 7:45. Joe gets the pinfall on Angle ---> Kurt Angle = 2, Samoa Joe = 2
* Angle then responds by taking out Joe's injured knee. Angle then rolls up Joe quickly and gets the pinfall at 5:19 ---> Kurt Angle = 3, Samoa Joe = 2
* At 3:22 mark, Angle charges at Joe and Joe slams him down hard in the corner. Angle then grabs Joe by the leg, trips him up and throws his knee against the ring post.
* At 1:31, Joe hits the Muscle Buster on Angle, pins Angle, but Angle gets his foot on the bottom rope to break the pinfall.
* Joe jumps on Angle's back and starts hitting him over the head with numerous punches. Joe then applies the Ankle Lock on Angle as the seconds start to wind down. Angle looks like he is going to tap, but he refuses. Joe pulls hard on Angle's ankle to make him tap. Time expires. Angle taps.
* Your winner and new #1 contender for the NWA World Title: Kurt Angle
* Mike Tenay points out that Kurt Angle did tap out, but he tapped out at 30 minutes and 1 second. Joe has a shocked look on his face as Kurt Angle celebrates.
- A video package for Abyss vs. Sting vs. Christian Cage in an Elimination Match for the NWA World Title airs.
- Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with Sting. Sting said he isn't ready to give up on Abyss just yet, no matter what has happened between them. James Mitchell walks up with Abyss. Mitchell said Sting must read the bible, so he must know about the end of times. Mitchell promises tonight will be the end of times. Sting grabs Mitchell and tells Abyss to back off. He tells Mitchell that there is no more room for him here in TNA.
- Christian Cage defeated Sting & Abyss in an Elimination Match to become the NEW NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Tomko was inside a cage at ringside. Mid-way during the match, Abyss tripped up Sting and crotched him against the ring post. Abyss sent Sting head first into the cage. Tomko started choking Sting through the cage at ringside. In the ring, Abyss took out Cage with the Black Hole Slam, but there was no referee to make the count. Sting then hit the ring with Cage getting knocked out by Abyss. Sting grabbed Abyss and connected with the Scorpion Deathdrop. Sting pinned Abyss. Abyss has been eliminated from the match. After the pinfall, Sting offered to shake hands with Abyss. Abyss instead started to choke Sting. James Mitchell yelled at Abyss to give Sting a chokeslam. Instead, Abyss let go and headed to the back as Mitchell yelled at him. We are now down to Sting and Christian Cage. Cage with a big missile dropkick on Sting. Cage attempts some offense on Sting, but Sting continues to power out of all of it and get in Cage's face by hulking up. Sting hit Cage with a military press slam. Sting followed that up with a Stinger Splash. When Sting attempted a second Stinger Splash, Cage moved out of the way. Big superplex by Sting on Cage from the top rope. James Mitchell then comes back out and lets Tomko out of the cage. Tomko hits the ring and takes out Sting. Tomko bails, Cage covers, but Sting kicks out! Sting then sends Tomko over the top rope. Abyss appears and he starts brawling with Tomko at ringside. In the ring, Cage tries to take out Sting with the NWA World Title. Sting ducks and then hits Cage with the Unprettier! Sting covers, but Cage kicks out! Referee bump. Mitchell comes in and hits Sting over the back with his cane. Abyss comes in. Sting turns around to go after Mitchell. Mitchell runs, but hits Abyss. Sting then grabs Mitchell and applies the Scorpion Deathlock on him. Abyss looks to be on Sting's side, but then hits him over the head with his chains. Cage smiles, goes up to the top rope, jumps and connects with a Frog Splash on Sting. Cage covers and gets the pinfall to become the NEW NWA World Heavyweight Champion.
After the match, Tomko hits the ring and puts Christian Cage on his shoulders. The PPV goes off the air with Cage raising the NWA World Title high in the air in the middle of the ring...