On Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 11:38 PM EST ECW on Sci Fi Results - 1/23/07
Live From: Mobile, Alabama
Commentators: Joey Styles & Tazz
Report By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
- The ECW opening airs.
- We then go live to Mobile, AL where The Sandman is smashing beer over his head for the fans in attendance. Out next was Sabu, Kevin Thorn, Tommy Dreamer and Rob Van Damn for an Over The Top Rope Battle Royal.
- Rob Van Dam won the Over The Top Battle Royal eliminating Kevin Thorn last. As noted earlier, the match involved RVD, The Sandman, Sabu, Tommy Dreamer and Kevin Thorn. Sabu and Dreamer were the first ones eliminated when Sabu hit a huricanranna on Dreamer, sending both over the top as a result. Sandman was eliminated next by Kevin Thorn. It came down to RVD and Thorn. Pretty solid action between RVD and Thorn, with RVD getting a majority of the offense in. The finish saw RVD get Thorn knocked out over the top, but Thorn stopped himself on the ring apron. RVD then went up to the top and kicked Thorn in the face to eliminate him. Joey Styles & Tazz said this was a good warm up for the Royal Rumble and that the odds could be in RVD's favor this Sunday.
- Marcus Cor Von defeated West Adams. This week they spelled it "Marcus" instead of "Marquis" as it was touted last week. He is also being announced as from Detroit now instead of The Animal Kingdom. Well, at least they are trying to fix things. Before the match started, Cor Von got on the mic and told Adams that he had no business being in the ring with him. Nothing but a squash match in this one with Cor Von hitting The Pounce and then his combination russian leg sweep into an armbar finish that saw West tap out.
- Backstage, Hardcore Holly approached Test and asked him how he got the stroke around ECW to just insert himself into the main event. Holly said he wanted to face Bobby Lashley tonight. He told Test he was going after the ECW Title no matter what it takes or who he has to go through.
- Kelly's Expose: Kelly Kelly was joined by Smackdown's Layla El and a new girl named Brooke. They were all dressed in lingerie and did a choreographed dance to the song "Put Your Back Into It" by Ice Cube that is a few years old. Even though all three women looked good, the segment fell flat big time with the crowd in Mobile. Towards the end, the music just stopped and went right into a video package about Test. Very confusing ending.
- Matt Striker then made his way to the ring and joined Joey Styles and Tazz at ringside on commentary. Striker asked Tazz why he didn't wear the ties he has been giving him. Tazz said they looked stupid. Striker shrugged off the comment and did a perfect cheesy smile at the camera. Good stuff.
- CM Punk defeated Elijah Burke. Believe it or not, this was the longest match of the night. During Punk's entrance, a video played where he said 2007 was his year. Striker tried to act smart and used big words to describe the attacks of Burke on Punk during the match. Lots of quick offense by Punk on Burke throughout the match that would then see Burke get Punk down in a submission to slow things down all over again. The finish saw Burke roll up Punk holding the tights, but Punk reversed and held Burke's legs back with his arms to get the pinfall.
- Joey Styles & Tazz previewed the Royal Rumble card.
- ECW Champion Bobby Lashley defeated Test in a Non-Title Match. Early in the match, Test quickly bailed out of the ring and tried to hold off any offense from Lashley. Lots of "STEROIDS" chants for Test from the crowd in Mobile. At one point, Test started removing a turnbuckle to expose a corner. The referee saw this and stopped him. When the referee fixed one corner, Test went to another and took the turnbuckle off that. Test then went and got a steel chair, brought it back in the ring, but Lashley took him out with a big Spear. Lashley started to hulk up and took down Test numerous times with elbows to the chest as Test came off the ropes. Lashley hit an impressive vertical suplex on Test and then sent him to the outside. Lashley sent Test shoulder first into the steel steps and then threw him back into the ring. The finish saw Lashley hit a running powerslam on Test to get the pinfall and the clean win just five days before their ECW Title Match at the Royal Rumble this Sunday.
After the match, Bobby Lashley celebrated with the fans in Mobile as the show went off the air.