ECW on Sci Fi Results - 2/20/07 - San Diego, CA (ECW Title, and more)
Reported by Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
On Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 12:06 AM EST
ECW on Sci Fi Results - 2/20/07
Live From: San Diego, California
Commentators: Joey Styles & Tazz
Report By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
Note: Hunter Golden was not able to do a report this week, but is scheduled to return next week.
- A graphic is shown stating that tonight's show is in memory of the late Mike Alfonso aka Mike Awesome.
- A video package airs showing highlights from the ECW Title Match between Bobby Lashley and Mr. Kennedy at No Way Out. It ends showing Lashley getting DQ'ed and taking out Kennedy with numerous steel chair shots.
- We then go live where Joey Styles plugs that tonight Bobby Lashley will defend the ECW World Title against Hardcore Holly & Mr. Kennedy in a Triple Threat Match.
- Elijah Burke's music hits and out comes The New Breed that includes Burke, Marcus Cor Von, Kevin Thorn and Matt Striker. They all got in the ring and Burke got on the mic putting over the strong characteristics of ECW's New Breed. Striker then gets on the mic and says the New Breed will teach ECW's Originals a lesson once again tonight. Striker mentions that they have picked Kevin Thorn to take on one of the Originals tonight. The ECW Originals come out including The Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, Rob Van Dam and Sabu. They pick Rob Van Dam to face Thorn.
- Rob Van Dam defeated Kevin Thorn. The match initially was interrupted when The New Breed attacked RVD at ringside. The Originals got involved to even things up. The finish saw RVD catch Thorn with a kick to the face off the top rope followed by a Five Star Frog Splash to get the pinfall. Solid opening match to kick off the show.
- A promo for Snitsky airs.
- CM Punk defeated Raw's Johnny Nitro in a "Money in the Bank" Qualifying Match. Another solid match on the card tonight. It was all Nitro early on until Punk made a comeback. An impressive spot saw Punk give Nitro a standing double underhook suplex into a backbreaker. Nitro also drapped Punk across the middle rope and hit a big spinning heel kick to Punk's chest in another great spot. The finish saw Nitro attempt a corkscrew moonsault, but Punk moved and hit a facebuster on Nitro across his knee to get the pinfall. After the match, Punk celebrated and Tazz put over that Punk was going to WrestleMania.
- Backstage, Rebecca was with Mr. Kennedy. Kennedy said he didn't get why he wasn't facing Lashley alone tonight since he beat him at No Way Out, but that now Hardcore Holly gets a title shot as well tonight. Hardcore Holly then showed up and reminded Kennedy that this was ECW and it was his world.
- La Resistance (Rene Dupree & Sylvan Grenier) defeated Los Luchas (Phoenix Star & Zokre). Squash match here for La Resistance's return as a tag team and debut in ECW. One of the Luchas took a painful dive over the top rope and landed right on his back on the outside. After the match, Snitsky hit the ring and attacked Los Luchas.
- Part Three of Bobby Lashley's story aired.
- Extreme Expose took place again featuring Kelly Kelly, Layla and Brooke. Kelly still can't dance and looks very awkward in these segments. They went to Joey Styles & Tazz at ringside and Tazz said he heard Styles is the choreographer for this Expose's. Styles laughed and said he had no way to follow that up. Styles then introduced the second inductee for this year's WWE Hall of Fame - Class of 2007.
- A promo aired showing that "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig was the second inductee into the WWE Hall of Fame - Class of 2007 this year.
- Bobby Lashley defeated Mr. Kennedy & Hardcore Holly in a Triple Threat Match to retain the ECW World Title. Better action than you might think with these three involved. It started off with both Kennedy and Holly going after Lashley and pushing each other to the side to get their own digs in. Holly finally halted any more teaming up between the two by attemping a quick rollup on Kennedy that turned out to only get him a two count. Lashley made a strong comeback towards the end giving both Kennedy and Holly big vertical suplexes. Holly bailed from the ring and brought a steel chair in. Tazz reminded the fans that there was No Disqualification rules in play. Holly kicked the chair into Lashley's face and hit a quick Alabama Slam. When Holly went for the cover, he looked to have the win until Kennedy pulled the referee out. Kennedy then tried to take out Lashley with a chair shot, but Lashley ducked and Kennedy took out Holly. Lashley then picked up Kennedy and hit a running powerslam to get the pinfall. After the match, Lashley celebrated up on the corner holding the ECW World Title high in the air. Tazz said no offense to the Raw and Smackdown World Champions, but that Lashley was the most impressive and is a true champion defending his title pratically every week.