Full WWE RAW Results - 5/17/04 - San Diego, CA (20-Man Battle Royal, more)
» Reported by Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
» On Monday, May 17, 2004 at 11:14 PM EST
Full WWE RAW Results - 5/17/04
LIVE From: San Diego, California
Commentators: Jim Ross & Jerry "The King" Lawler
Report by: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
- The RAW promo hits and the pyro goes off in the San Diego Sports Arena to start the show.
- JR & The King run down the card: Chris Benoit & Edge vs. Randy Orton & Batista for the World Tag Team Titles and the 20-Man Over The Top Rope Battle Royal.
Lita vs. Trish Stratus
The match starts with Lita taking down Trish with a quick punch followed by a quick monkey flip. Lita throws Trish into the corner, misses a charge and Trish throws Lita back by the hair. Trish and Lita exchange a few punches, Lita hits a quick head scissors and a rollup for a two count. Trish sits up on the top rope and chokes out Lita two times. Trish hits a quick clothesline off the top for a two count. Trish hits a neckbreaker, misses a kick and Lita does a rollup for a close two count. Lita applies a choke, Lita fights back, but Trish hits a big spinebuster. Trish goes for the Stratusfaction, but Lita counters into a back suplex. Lita hits a snap suplex and two clotheslines for a quick two count. Lita hits a reverse Twist of Fate, but Trish kicks out after two. After this takes place, Kane appears on the TitanTron saying "Litaaaaaaa." Trish then rolls up Lita with her feet on the ropes to get the 1, 2, 3.
Winner: Trish Stratus
After the match, Kane asks Lita if he distracted her. He said he didn't mean to cause her any harm. He just wanted an answer...yes or no. He said he wanted her answer tonight and she better pray it is right one. Kane laughs as we go to commercial.
WWE SLAM OF THE WEEK: Randy Orton defeating Edge last week to retain the WWE Intercontinental Title with help from Ric Flair.
In-ring Segment: Randy Orton and Shelton Benjamin
Randy Orton comes out to the ring and raises the WWE IC Title high in the air. Orton gets on the mic and said if you haven't noticed, he likes to talk about himself. He said he likes to talk about how he beat Mick Foley at WrestleMania XX and Backlash, how he beat Edge last week on RAW and how he is the longest reigning Intercontinental Champion in the last seven years. Orton said tonight when he and Batista beat Chris Benoit and Edge, he will be half of the World Tag Team Champions. He said his accomplishments are endless, but said tonight is not just about Randy Orton...it's about Evolution. He said tonight is about Triple H, The Game, the greatest wrestler alive today. He said tonight is the night where Triple H begins his path of regaining the World Heavyweight Championship because Evolution will see to it tonight in the 20-Man Battle Royal that he win.
Shelton Benjamin's music hits, cutting off Orton. Benjamin gets on the mic and asked if he just heard him say that tonight is about Evolution. He asked if he heard him say that Triple H is the greatest wrestler alive today. Benjamin gave Orton a reminder...he beat Triple H. Not once, but twice. Benjamin said tonight isn't about Evolution, tonight is about Shelton Benjamin winning the Battle Royal. He said he would go on to Bad Blood and get a shot at the World Heavyweight Title. Orton said Benjamin is no match for Evolution, Triple H and him. Benjamin asked Orton if he was better than him and Orton said he was. Benjamin proposes Orton defend the Intercontinental Title against him. Orton said he that is what is wrong with "you people", you take more than you deserve. Benjamin then takes out Orton with some hard punches followed by a big splash in the corner. Ric Flair comes out and pulls Orton out of the ring.
- Backstage, Randy Orton tells Evolution that he will handle Shelton Benjamin later. Batista said tonight, they will bring home the World Tag Team Titles to Evolution. Triple H says after that, they will watch his back in the Battle Royal to ensure he gets a World Title shot at Bad Blood.
- Backstage, William Regal is with Eugene. Regal congratulates him on winning his match last week on RAW. Eugene asks if he can have another match, but Regal said that is up to Mr. Bischoff. Eric Bischoff walks up and confronts Regal off to the side. Regal said he tried his hardest to sabotage the match last week. Bischoff said it was okay because if they are going to break Eugene, they have to do it physically or emotionally. Bischoff said they have to show him who he truly is, a laughing stock. He tells Regal that he has scheduled an interview and after that takes place, he will never want to show his face again. Regal stares on as Bischoff walks away.
- Jim Ross and Jerry "The King" Lawler take us back to last week when Shawn Michaels was suspended by Eric Bischoff following HBK's attack on Triple H during his match with Shelton Benjamin. They plug the 20-Man Battle Royal later tonight to decide the new #1 contender for the World Heavyweight Title and mention Eugene has been pulled from the match.
Kane vs. Val Venis
The match starts with Val hitting some hard rights on Kane, but Kane knocks him back down quickly. Kane grabs Val, throwing him into the corner, but Val hits a quick elbow to the face. Val goes for a russian leg sweep, but Kane knocks him back. Kane misses a jumping elbow and Val takes advantage hitting some hard left and rights. Val gets back up and Kane takes him down with a powerful boot to the face. Kane gives Val a big chokeslam and gets the 1, 2, 3.
After the match, Matt Hardy hits the ring and starts hitting some hard punches on Kane. Matt clotheslines Kane over the top rope and nails his head off the steel steps. Matt gets a steel chair and nails it into Kane's side. Kane gets back into the ring, Matt follows, goes for a chairshot, but Kane hits a kick to the gut. Kane gives Matt a big Chokeslam and sets Matt upside down in the corner. Kane chokes Matt with some cables and chases the referee out of the ring. Kane closes the steel chair over Matt's head and begins to apply pressure with it using his foot. Lita runs down with a mic, telling Kane to stop. Lita said her answer is YES. Kane grabs Lita, smiles at her and then lets her go. Kane walks up the ramp smiling as Lita attends to the injured Matt Hardy.
- Chris Benoit & Edge defend the World Tag Team Titles against Randy Orton & Batista next!
- Footage from earlier today with The Hurricane, Shelton Benjamin and Victoria pushing the SmackDown Your Vote campaign in San Diego.
World Tag Team Championship Match
Chris Benoit & Edge (c's) vs. Randy Orton & Batista (w/ Ric Flair)
The match starts with Edge and Randy Orton. Both men lockup, Edge gets a headlock and Orton backs him up into the corner breaking it up. Edge hits a quick shoulder takedown and Orton fights back with a kick to the gut and quick uppercut. Edge hits a back body drop on Orton and Benoit gets the tag. Benoit hits some hard chops on Orton in the corner, but Orton locks up and pushes Benoit into the other corner. Batista gets the tag and he works on Benoit's side. Batista hits a big clothesline on Benoit and taunts at Edge on the ring apron. Orton gets the tag and gets a boot to the face in the corner from Benoit. Edge gets the tag and stops Orton from tagging in Batista. Edge applies a chinlock on Orton. Orton fights back with a few elbows to the gut, kick to the face, but gets launched over the top rope by Edge. Batista comes in and both Benoit and Edge hit a double clothesline, knocking him over the top rope. Ric Flair attends to Batista as we go to a commercial break.
We are back and are shown footage of Edge hitting the ring post followed by a missed charge in the corner during the break. In the ring, Orton is working on Edge's shoulder, but Edge fights back with some hard rights. Orton slams Edge back down as Batsita gets the tag. Batista works on Edge's shoulder again as Benoit yells for a tag. Edge breaks out of the hold, but Batista hits a big clothesline. Orton gets the tag and works on Edge's bad shoulder again. Edge fights back with an elbow, goes off the ropes and holds on, allowing Orton to miss a jumping dropkick. Edge catapults Orton into the corner, allowing Orton to bounce off as Edge hits a reverse neckbreaker...1, 2, Orton barely kicks out. Orton throws Edge into the ropes and Edge hits a big DDT. Benoit gets the tag. Benoit takes out Orton with a low knee, snap suplex and a series of hard chops. Benoit knocks Batista off the ring apron and then locks the Sharpshooter on Orton. Batista breaks it up soon after, but Edge comes in and takes out Batista. Benoit and Edge throw Orton into Batista who is in the corner. Batista fights back with a double clothesline on Benoit and Edge. Batista goes for a powerbomb on Benoit, but he counters and Batista throws Benoit into the referee. Edge sends Batista to the outside. Benoit hits a three big german suplexes on Orton and signaled for the end. Benoit got up on the top rope, Flair tried to knock him off, but Benoit knocked him out. Benoit jumped off the top rope, but Orton had the IC Title on his chest. Benoit connected with the headbutt, but hit the IC Title. Orton covered Benoit...1, 2, Benoit kicked out! Edge hit a double spear on both Orton and Flair. Batista knocked Edge to the outside, but Edge threw him into the steel steps. In the ring, Orton tried for the RKO, but Benoit countered into the Crossface. Orton tries to fight out of it, but ends up tapping out.
Winners & STILL World Tag Team Champions: Chris Benoit & Edge
- Backstage, William Regal was with Eugene. Regal told him his interview is next on RAW and told him to behave. Eugene told him to come with, but Regal said he would be going out by himself. Regal told Eugene that no matter what happened, he had to handle it like a man. Eugene asked if Regal was trying to tell him something. Regal wished him good luck and Eugene left.
In-ring Segment: Eugene, The Coach...and The Rock?
Todd Grisham introduces Eugene to the ring. Eugene comes out and waves to the fans in attendance. Grisham goes to speak and Eugene gives him a big hug. The Coach's music hits and cuts off Grisham yet again. The Coach tells Grisham to take a hike because the "A team" is taking over. The Coach said it is great to see Eugene and congratulates him on his win last week. The Coach asks what he thinks and Eugene goes to respond, but Coach pulls away the mic and said that is great. The Coach said last week the entire arena was laughing at you and said he is a joke. The Coach said the people don't actually like him and like making fun of him. The Coach said Eugene doesn't belong and the only reason he has a job is because he is Eric Bischoff's nephew. The Coach said he doesn't have any friends. Not him, William Regal or anyone in the crowd tonight. The Coach questioned if he even kissed a girl before. He said last week everyone enjoyed his match last week, but said "life goes on" and wants him to do something. The Coach said he wants him to get out of the ring and tell his friends how close he became to becoming a WWE superstar. The Coach forgot that he had no friends and told him to get out. Eugene left the ring with a sad look on his face.
The Rock's music hit as Eugene looked suprised. The crowd went nuts in San Diego as Eugene followed him down to the ring. The Rock got up on both top ropes and saluted the fans. The Rock got on the mic and said Eugene isn't going anywhere. The Rock said he was backstage and heard all the trash The Coach was saying...hold on a second. Finally The Rock has come back to San Diego. The Rock continues, saying how he heard The Coach say the people think Eugene is a joke. The Rock said there is only one man who knows the people and it isn't this "walking popcorn fart" The Coach. The Rock said he came to San Diego looking forward to meet Eugene. He said he is a big fan and said the people like him. The crowd chanted "EUGENE" and The Rock asked if he liked that. The Rock said screw The Coach, he isn't your friend Eugene. The fans chanted "SCREW THE COACH" and The Rock said he would be honored to be his friend. The Rock then gets the crowd to call The Coach a popcorn fart. The Coach said that was real funny and said the last time he saw him, he was getting his ass kicked all over Madison Square Garden at WrestleMania XX. He said he had no right to make fun of him. The Rock asked if that what he thinks and Eugene got on the mic, saying it doesn't matter what you think. Eugene smiled and bounced on the ropes as the crowd chanted "EUGENE" again. The Rock said aside from Mick Foley, he is the only one who can say his catchphrases. The Rock asked Eugene who his favorite wrestler was and he said Triple H. The Rock asked why Triple H and he said they both like to play games. The Rock said the only game Triple H likes to play is hide the struddle. The Rock said all three of them would play a game. The Rock said how about they play a game called Eugene Whips The Coach's Candy Ass All Over San Diego. Garrison Cade hit the ring and took out The Coach. Coach took out Eugene, but eventually The Rock and Eugene fought back. Rock gave Garrison Cade a big spinebuster and The Coach a Rock Bottom. The Rock then lets Eugene do the People's Elbow as they shook hands. The Rock and Eugene celebrated in all the corners.
- The 20-Man Battle Royal is up next.
- SMACKDOWN RE-BOUND & JUDGMENT DAY HIGHLIGHTS: Eddie Guerrero attacking John Bradshaw Layfield's limo. JBL then gets Guerrero arrested. Pictures are shown from the WWE Championship Match at Judgment Day, showing a bloody Guerrero and JBL. JBL is announced as the winner of the match via DQ.
20-Man Over The Top Rope Battle Royal
Those involved: Maven, Rhyno, Sylvain Grenier, Rob Conway, Steven Richards, Johnny Nitro, Garrison Cade, Shelton Benjamin, Rosey, The Hurricane, Christian, Val Venis, Batista, Kane, Matt Hardy, Ric Flair, Triple H, Randy Orton, Edge and Chris Jericho.
- Johnny Nitro is eliminated by Kane.
- Steven Richards is eliminated by Kane.
- Rosey is eliminated by Kane.
- Rob Conway is eliminated by Maven.
- Maven is eliminated by Triple H.
- Val Venis is eliminated by Triple H.
- Sylvain Grenier is eliminated by Chris Jericho.
- Garrison Cade is eliminated by Chris Jericho.
- Rhyno is eliminated by Batista.
- The Hurricane is eliminated by Triple H & Batista.
- Ric Flair was eliminated by Chris Jericho.
- Chris Jericho was eliminated by Batista.
- Batista was eliminated by Edge.
- Edge was eliminated by Randy Orton.
- Randy Orton was eliminated by Shelton Benjamin.
- Shelton Benjamin was eliminated by Triple H.
- Final Two: Kane and Triple H.
Triple H bragged that he would eliminate Kane next. Triple H went to pick up Kane when Shawn Michaels hit the ring. Michaels clotheslined Triple H over the top rope and took off into the crowd. Kane is your winner and will move on to Bad Blood to face Chris Benoit for the World Heavyweight Title.
After the match, Triple H yelled at Shawn Michaels who was in the crowd celebrating with the fans. RAW went off the air with Triple H yelling loudly in frustration...