Full WWE RAW Results - 5/31/04 - Montreal, QC (New World Tag Team Champs)
» Reported by Adam Martin of WrestleView.com » On Monday, May 31, 2004 at 10:34 PM EST
Full WWE RAW Results - 5/31/04 LIVE From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada Commentators: Jim Ross & Jerry "The King" Lawler Report by: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
- A video narrated by Vince McMahon in dedication to Memorial Day was shown.
- A video highlight was shown of Shawn Michaels eliminated Triple H from the 20-Man Battle Royal, allowing Kane to become the #1 contender. Footage from last week was shown of Triple H and Shawn Michaels brawling throughout the night. Eric Bischoff then announces that HHH and HBK will settle their differences in a Hell in a Cell at Bad Blood.
- The RAW promo hits and the pyro goes off in the Bell Centre in Montreal to start the show.
- Matches announced for tonight: Randy Orton vs. Shelton Benjamin and Chris Benoit & Edge defending the World Tag Team Titles against La Resistance kicks off the show.
World Tag Team Championship Match Chris Benoit & Edge (c's) vs. La Resistance The match starts with Edge and Rob Conway. Both lock up and Edge backs Conway into the corner. Another lock up, Edge works on Conway's arm and takes him down quickly. Benoit gets the tag and gets some quick punches on Conway in the corner. Benoit hits a quick snap suplex, but only gets a two count. Edge gets the tag and hits some hard chops in the corner on Conway. Conway fights back with a boot to the face and Greiner gets the tag. Grenier works on Edge's arm as the crowd is in heavy favor of La Resistance. Conway gets the tag, but Edge hits a reverse neckbreaker being meet with a chorus of boo's from the crowd. Benoit gets the tag and hits two big clotheslines on both members of La Resistance. Benoit locks on the Sharpshooter, gets it broken up and then applies it on Grenier. Benoit then hits three big german suplexes on Conway. Beonit goes to the top, jumps, but misses the headbutt. Both members of La Resistance attempt a double team move, but Edge pulls out Grenier and Benoit applies the Crossface on Conway. Grenier breaks it up as the crowd goes nuts in favor of La Resistance.
We are back from commercial and Grenier has a submission applied on Benoit's back. Benoit tries to fight back, but Grenier continues his assault on Benoit in both corners. Benoit gains some momentum and fights back with some hard chops and a stiff kick to the head. Edge gets the tag and hits a big facebuster on Grenier and then throws Conway out of the ring. Edge goes up to the top, jumps and connects with a missle dropkick on Grenier. Conway comes in and takes out Edge, but Benoit comes in and hits a big german suplex on Conway. Edge goes for a Spear, but hits Benoit instead knocking him to the outside. La Resistance do a double team finisher on Edge to get the 1, 2, 3 to become the NEW World Tag Team Champions!
Winners & NEW World Tag Team Champions: La Resistance
After the match, both Rob Conway and Sylvain Grenier celebrate to a huge ovation from the crowd in Montreal. Benoit and Edge were shown sitting on the outside frustrated at what had just happened.
- A promo plugging the Hell in a Cell match between Triple H and Shawn Michaels at Bad Blood was shown.
- MOMENTS AGO: Edge accidentally gives Chris Benoit a Spear, allowing La Resistance to hit a double team finisher to become the NEW World Tag Team Champions.
- Both Rob Conway and Sylvain Grenier were shown celebrating in the crowd in Montreal after become the new World Tag Team Champions.
- Todd Grisham is backstage with the WWE Intercontinental Champion, Randy Orton. Grisham brings up Orton's match with Shelton Benjamin tonight, with the stipulation being that if Benjamin wins he gets an Intercontinental Title shot at Bad Blood. Orton said he is the legend killer and that Benjamin couldn't beat him on his best day. Grisham brings up how Benjamin beat him last week and the footage rolls. Orton said that was a fluke, an accident and walks away frustrated.
- Backstage, William Regal was with Eric Bischoff. Bischoff said he wants to give the fans of Monday night RAW what they want. He said he won't let what happened last week between Triple H and Shawn Michaels take place again. Eugene comes into the room. Bischoff admits to Regal that Eugene has become very popluar and that he has to hand it to him. The Coach comes in and Bischoff wants him to apologize to Eugene. Bischoff said he is serious and wants him to. The Coach said he is sorry and Bischoff said that wasn't good enough. He said he wants The Coach to publically apologize in the middle of the ring and needs to do it right now.
- WWE COOL COLOR OF THE NIGHT: The Coach calling Eugene a joke and telling him to leave the WWE.
In-ring Segment: The Coach, Eugene and Kane The Coach comes out to the ring and gets on the mic. The fans begin to chant "ASSHOLE" loudly. The Coach said he is a man of his word and wants Eugene to come out because he has something to say. Eugene comes out and waves to the fans in Montreal. The Coach said he knows they don't like each other, but the fact remains that two weeks ago he did make fun of him. The Coach said he thought he was a joke, but the bottom line is that he has proved to everyone that he is the real deal. The Coach said it has surprised him and that the actual joke was on him. The Coach said he is sorry and extends his hand. Eugene shakes his hand and backs up. The Coach said he accused him of having no friends, but that isn't the case. The Rock is his friend. The World Heavyweight Champion Chris Benoit is your friend. And all of the people in Montreal are his friends. The Coach said he ran into a person who is also his friend earlier today and wanted to personally introduce himself right now. The pyro goes off and Kane makes his way down to the ring. Kane gets into the ring and stares down Eugene. The Coach said Kane is the person he was talking about and thinks he wants to be his friend. Kane opens his arms and smiles at Eugene. Eugene approches Kane and hugs him. Eugene hugs Kane again, but The Coach knocks out Eugene with the mic. Kane confronts The Coach, but turns around and takes out Eugene with a big clothesline. The Coach walks up the ramp laughing at Eugene in the ring.
- A promo plugging the new WWE Hall of Fame DVD was shown.
- MOMENTS AGO: The Coach and Kane set up Eugene, allowing him to get attacked as The Coach leaves laughing at what happened.
- Backstage, The Coach is laughing with Eric Bischoff. William Regal comes in and gets in Bischoff's face, asking if that was really necessary. Bischoff said Regal will lose his job if he keeps up that tone with him. Bischoff said he tried to be the nice guy, but he got popular with the fans and became an embarassment to his family. Bischoff said he will put an end to it tonight when Eugene competes in his second singles match against Kane with no interference allowed.
Non-Title Match Victoria vs. Jazz The match starts with both locking up and Jazz taking down Victoria quickly. Victoria applies a head submission on Victoria. Jazz takes down Victoria again, but Victoria fights back with a big punch to the face. Victoria irish whips Jazz into the ropes and ducks, but Jazz counters and hits a big elbow to the back of the head. Jazz hits a big leg to the back of the head soon after. Jazz gets some quick kicks on Victoria in the corner, throws Victoria into the opposite corner, but Victoria hits a big kick to the face. Jazz then lifts Victoria in the air and throws her back down. Jazz applies a half Boston Crab, but Victoria makes it to the bottom rope. Victoria goes to the outside on the ring apron and goes a sun set flip over the top rope on Jazz. Victoria gets a two count as a result and hits a big powerslam soon after. Jazz rolls up Victoria quickly, but only gets a two count. Jazz goes for a suplex, but Victoria reverses it into a roll up of her own to get the 1, 2, 3.
- LATER TONIGHT: Kane vs. Eugene.
- UP NEXT: Randy Orton vs. Shelton Benjamin.
- A promo hyping the new WWE Diva Search was shown.
- A video package was shown titled "Remembering Our Heroes" with shots of various American symbols.
Non-Title Match Randy Orton w/ Batista vs. Shelton Benjamin The match starts with both locking up and Benjamin hitting a quick belly to belly takedown. Benjamin rolls up Orton quickly, but Orton breaks out of it. Orton hits some hard chops to the back on Benjamin as the referee breaks it up. Benjamin hits a boot in the corner and hits some hard chops to the back of Orton as well. Orton dodges a dropkick from Benjamin and hits a standing dropkick of his own. Orton goes to the corner and removes the padding from the top turnbuckle. Benjamin tries to attack Orton from behind, but Orton hits a quick knee lift. Orton tries to throw Benjamin in the corner, but Benjamin stops himself and they knock right into each other. Orton is busted open and grabs the referee as Batista gets up on the ring apron and nails Benjamin's head off the exposed turnbuckle. Orton crawls over and drapes his arm over Benjamin's chest, 1...2...kick out!
We are back from commercial and Orton has a submission applied on Benjamin. During the break, Batista threw Benjamin into the guard railing. Benjamin breaks out of the submission with a modified Stunner. Benjamin knocks Batista off the ring apron, but when Benjamin goes off the ropes Batista pulls the top rope down, allowing Benjamin to fall to the outside. The referee goes to the outside and sends Batista to the back as a result of his actions. Orton throws Benjamin back inside, goes for a cover, but only gets a two count. Orton hits some hard rights on Benjamin in the corner and launches Benjamin into the exposed turnbuckle, allowing Benjamin to connect right on his back with impact. Benjamin and Orton exchange some right hands, but Benjamin comes back with more powerful rights. Orton gets a back body drop from Benjamin, but fights back with a knee to the gut. Orton attempts a monkey flip, but Benjamin lands right back on his feet. Orton hits a boot to the face in the corner and goes up to the top. Orton connects with a big cross-body, but Benjamin reverses it into a pin and only gets a two count. Orton hits an inverted backbreaker, but only gets a two count. Orton goes for the RKO, but Benjamin counters and gets a two count off a backslide. Orton walks up the ramp to leave. Benjamin follows him, but Orton turns around and connects with a sucker punch. Orton gets back in the ring and Benjamin hits a modified belly to belly suplex catching Orton off guard, allowing him to get the 1, 2, 3 for the win.
Winner: Shelton Benjamin
After the match, Orton walks up the ramp and can't believe he just lost to Benjamin. Benjamin now earns a shot at Orton's WWE Intercontinental Title at Bad Blood. Benjamin gets up on the top rope and celebrates with the crowd in Montreal.
- A promo hyping the World Heavyweight Title match between Chris Benoit and Kane at Bad Blood was shown.
- Backstage, Stacy Keibler is getting pictures taken of her. Todd Grisham talks with Stacy and asks for her thoughts on the new WWE Diva Search. Keibler said her friends and sister are even entering the competition. Grisham asks what a Diva actually does. Keibler said they go on big tours, are involved with big photo shoots and excuses Grisham so she can continue her current shoot.
In-ring Segment: Triple H speaks on Hell in a Cell Triple H's music hits and he comes out to the ring. Triple H gets on the mic and tells everyone to stop looking around at the entrance area and the crowd for a sneak attack because Shawn Michaels is not here tonight. He said Eric Bischoff has banned him from the arena tonight. Triple H said if HBK was here, he could have finished what he started last week. He said HBK and Triple H will officially end at Bad Blood in a Hell in a Cell. He said that the Hell in a Cell was designed to signify the end of careers and the end of issues. A video airs of Triple H's various involvements in past Hell in a Cell matches with Mick Foley, Chris Jericho and Kevin Nash. Triple H gets on the mic and tells Shawn Michaels that he will see him in hell.
- JR and The King run down the matches announced for Bad Blood thus far: Chris Benoit defends World Heavyweight Title against Kane, Randy Orton defends WWE Intercontinental Title against Shelton Benjamin, Victoria defends WWE Women's Title against Gail Kim and Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels in a Hell in a Cell.
- Backstage, Johnny Nitro comes in Eric Bischoff's room. He tells Nitro to go get Eugene for him.
Matt Hardy w/ Lita vs. Garrison Cade The match starts with both locking up and Hardy applying a shoulder submission. Cade fights back with an elbow to the head and nails Hardy's head off the corner. Hardy hits a hard right hand on Cade, but Cade fights back by lauching Hardy in the air and allowing him to come down on the top rope. Cade hits some hard right hands of his own, goes for the cover, but only gets a two count. Hardy throws Cade over the top rope and connects with a cross-body over the top rope on the outside on Cade. Hardy throws Cade back inside and hits a modified sit down Rock Bottom. Cade attempts a powerbomb, but Hardy counters into a back body drop. Cade charges at Hardy in the corner, but Hardy connects with a boot to the face and hits a leg drop off the top rope. Hardy hits a big Twist of Fate on Cade and hooks the leg to get the 1, 2, 3.
Winner: Matt Hardy
After the match, Lita gets in the ring to celebrate with Hardy. Hardy puts her on the top rope and they both kiss.
- SMACKDOWN REBOUND: Michael Cole announces that the #1 contender for the WWE Championship at the Great American Bash will be John Bradshaw Layfield. JBL said he will announce the stipulation of the match next week on SmackDown. Sable returns to SmackDown this week in a Bikini Contest and The Undertaker will do battle with Booker T as well.
- Backstage, Johnny Nitro brings Eugene in Eric Bischoff's room. Nitro leaves and Bischoff tells Eugene to sit down. Bischoff asks Eugene if he is okay and he tells Bischoff he is. Bischoff said he doesn't know how to say this, but Uncle Eric knew what was going to happen in the ring tonight with Kane. He said Uncle Eric was showing tough love and said he isn't cut out for this type of business. Bischoff said Eugene has the chance to prove him wrong tonight. Bischoff wishes him good luck and asks if he has a hug for Uncle Eric. Eugene hugs him and Bischoff has a guilty look on his face.
- Another video package was shown titled "Remembering Our Heroes" with shots of various American symbols.
- Footage of the RAW brand's WWE TOUR OF DEFIANCE was shown from this past weekend in Dublin, Ireland, Manchester, England and Birmingham, England.
Chris Jericho's Highlight Reel: Hosted by Trish Stratus Chris Jericho's music and pyro goes off, but Trish Stratus and Tyson Tomko come out instead. Trish gets on the mic and says she can't understand the crowd since they like to speak French. She said she must have a frog in her throat and there are 10,000 frogs surrounding her right now. Trish said that since Chris Jericho was unable to be here tonight, she took it upon herself to be the host of the Highlight Reel tonight. Trish gives a "shout out" to Christian who is at home. Trish asks why she is lowering herself, a three time Babe of the Year, to host the Highlight Reel. The crowd chants "SLUT" loudly. She said she is here because she has a piece of footage, a highlight if you will, that has to be shown. Trish said this has to be the best highlight in the history of Monday night RAW. Footage was shown from last week on RAW when Tyson Tomko attacked Jericho from behind and gave him a big powerbomb through the announcers table. Trish fakes a phone call to 911, saying she and Tomko just stole the show. Trish makes fun of JR and said she enjoys Mr. Tomko's work. She sends a message to everyone that they shouldn't become a problem because if they decide to do so, they will get a powerbomb like last week. Trish asks for the footage to air again when Chris Jericho comes out to the ring. Jericho takes out Tomko and puts Trish in the Walls of Jericho. Tomko gives Jericho a big kick to the face to break up the submission. Tomko picks up Jericho over his head and throws him down on one of the chairs in the ring, working on his injured ribs even more. Trish sits on the chair to apply more pressure. Both Trish and Tomko leave as Jericho stays in the ring in pain.
- Backstage, Kane is in a dark room. Kane looks at the camera as we head to another commercial.
Kane vs. Eugene The match starts with Kane trying to clothesline Eugene twice, but Eugene moves out of the way for each one. Eugene gets a quick takedown on Kane, goes for the cover and gets a two count. Kane charges at Eugene and Eugene rolls him up for a quick two count. Kane takes down Eugene with a powerful clothesline soon after. Eugene gets a sun set flip on Kane, but Kane picks up Eugene by his shoulders and launches him in the corner. Eugene gets a drop toe hold on Kane in the corner, goes to the top, jumps, but Kane takes him out with a clothesline. Kane goes for the cover, but Eugene kicks out after two. Kane throws Eugene over the top rope to the outside. The crowd starts to chant "LETS GO EUGENE". Eugene gets up on the ring apron, but Kane suplexes him back into the ring. Kane hits a stiff uppercut punch taking Eugene down quickly. Eugene applies a headlock on Kane, but Kane backs him in the corner and hits a hard right. Kane applies a headlock, but Eugene gets back on his feet and counters out of it. Kane hits a few hard elbows and punches on Eugene, but Eugene keeps coming back for more. Kane continues to nail Eugene's head off the turnbuckle and take him down, but Eugene comes back for more. Eugene gives Kane a big dropkick, knocking him to the outside. Kane goes to the outside and throws two steel chairs into the ring. Kane tries to use the steel chair, but the referee grabs it and Kane throws him out of the ring. Eugene kicks Kane in the gut and Kane drops the steel chair. Eugene gives Kane a DDT on the steel chair and the referee comes in calling for the bell. The referee awards the match to Eugene after Kane threw him out of the ring.
Winner via DQ: Eugene
After the match, Kane gives Eugene a big chokeslam. Kane picks up Eugene and looks to give him a Tombstone Piledriver, but Chris Benoit runs down. Benoit attempts the Crossface on Kane, Kane resists and hits an elbow to Benoit's head. Benoit grabs the steel chair, but Kane bails out of the ring. Benoit checks on Eugene as Kane walks up the ramp, staring down Benoit and yelling that he will become the new World Heavyweight Champion come Bad Blood. In the ring, Benoit picks up Eugene and raises his arm in the air. RAW goes off the air with Eugene hugging Benoit and thanking him...