RAW Results - 1/24/05 - Oklahoma City, OK (Orton vs. Flair & more)
» Reported by Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
» On Monday, January 24, 2005 at 11:08 PM EST
WrestleView.com is currently seeking two individuals to recap WWE RAW every Monday night in this similar format. If you are interested in applying for the job, click here.
- Adam MartinWWE RAW Results - 1/24/05
Live From: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Commentators: Jim Ross & Jerry "The King" Lawler
Report By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
- The opening WWE promo hits. A picture of GM Eric Bischoff is shown. Highlights of Kane vs. Gene Snitsky from last week are shown with Kane giving Snitsky a chokeslam off the ramp into tables on the ground.
- The RAW promo hits followed by a series of pyro going off inside the Ford Center in Oklahoma City. JR & The King plug Randy Orton vs. Ric Flair for later tonight and an exclusive update regarding Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Six Man Tag Team Match
Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit vs. Edge, Christian & Tyson Tomko
The match starts with Shawn Michaels and Christian. Both lock up and HBK takes out Christian with a quick shoulder block. HBK attempts to knock Edge off the ring apron, but Edge jumps down before it can happen. Benoit gets the tag and Christian gives him a few kicks and chops. Benoit fights back attempting the Crossface, Christian counters, Benoit grabs him and hits a northern lights suplex for a two count. Tomko gets the tag and gives Benoit some hard forearms to the back. Tomko attempts a gutwrench powerbomb, but Benoit counters and gives him some chops. Jericho gets the tag and he double-teams Tomko with Benoit, taking him out with a big double clothesline. Tomko fights back launching Jericho into the corner, Jericho moves out of the way and hits a few chops and elbows. Jericho gives Tomko a drop toe hold and runs up his back. Jericho counters a military press slam from Tomko and rolls him up for a two count. Jericho attempts a Walls of Jericho, but all the rest involved hit the ring. HBK, Jericho and Benoit send Edge, Christian and Tomko all to the outside as we head to a commercial break.
We are back live as Edge tags in Christian. Christian gives Benoit a quick kick to the gut. Benoit fights back with some big chops and tags in HBK. HBK gives Christian an atomic drop, a big chop, but Christian fights back with some punches. HBK gets in a few more chops, but Christian takes him down with a big right. Christian sends HBK into the ropes and Edge pulls down the ropes, allowing HBK to hit the outside with impact. Edge throws HBK back in the ring, gets the tag and takes out HBK with a few right hands. HBK fights back, tackling Edge in the opposite corner. Christian tags himself in and stomps away at HBK. Christian picks up HBK and hits a quick neckbreaker for a two count. Tomko gets the tag and starts to choke out HBK. Tomko gives HBK a quick elbow, covers, but Jericho breaks up the count. Edge gets the tag and gives HBK some punches in the corner. HBK counters, giving Edge some chops. Edge tackles HBK and attempts some right hands and then tags in Christian. Christian gives HBK a snapmare followed by applying a neck submission. HBK takes out Christian with a big lou thesz press. Christian holds down HBK on the ground however and tags in Tomko. Tomko gives HBK a big powerslam, covers, but only gets a two count. Edge gets the tag and he gives HBK a standing dropkick. Edge mocks HBK, doing his pose as the fans boo. Christian gets the tag and gives HBK some stiff kicks. Christian gets in the face of Jericho, Jericho comes in the ring, referee Earl Hebner holds him back as HBK rolls up Christian with a cradle, but the referee can't make the count due to holding Jericho back. Christian quickly gets out of it and applies a sleeper. HBK gains a comeback, but both meet in the middle of the ring taking each other down with a big double clothesline. Tomko and Benoit both get the tag. Benoit takes out Tomko with a big german release suplex. Benoit gives Christian a snap suplex and then snap suplexes Edge on Christian. Jericho gives Tomko a springboard dropkick and then jumps over the top taking him out on the outside. Benoit gives Christian three big german suplexes and signals for the end. Benoit goes up to the top, jumps and connects with the diving headbutt. Benoit looks to apply the Sharpshooter when Edge breaks it up. HBK takes out Edge, kicking him to the outside. Tomko charges at HBK looking to hit the big boot, but he gets some Sweet Chin Music instead and Benoit rolls up Tomko for the 1, 2, 3.
Winners: Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit
- The SmackDown Rebound airs.
- Backstage, Stacy Keibler is shown making her way to the arena.
- A clip of The Tonight Show from 1985 with Johnny Carson is shown with Hulk Hogan as the special guest. As some know, Carson passed away this past Sunday morning. JR thanks Carson for all the memories.
In-Ring Segment: JR Day gets interrupted
Stacy Keibler's music hits and she gets in the ring. Keibler gets on the mic and says today is a special day in the state of Oklahoma. She puts over that today was officially announced as Jim Ross Day. Danny Hodge, 3-Time NCAA Wrestling Champion, is introduced and jumps into the ring with Keibler. She then introduces JR and he comes to the ring. JR salutes the crowd with his cowboy hat. JR hugs Hodge and footage is shown from earlier today when today was announced as Jim Ross Day by the Gov. of Oklahoma. Keibler then kisses JR on the cheek and he gets on the mic. JR asks if there is any Sooners in the house, which gets a big cheer. He said he loves his Sooners with all his heart. JR said he wished his mom and dad could be here tonight, but knows they are watching. He said he misses them very much when Triple H's music hits.
Triple H comes down the ramp with the World Title over his shoulder along with Ric Flair. He is pretending to tear up about what was just said by JR. Triple H takes the mic away from JR and said that would have brought a tear to a glass eye. He said he can't believe Oklahoma is celebrating JR day. Triple H said that is like crap telling puke it smells good. He said it is pathetic and has Flair bring up the score from the last Sooner football game when they lost to USC 55 to 19. He then proposes Triple H Day and said that would be a real celebration. Triple H apologizes for interrupting JR, but says he has some business to attend to. He tells JR to take father time with him and leave the ring. JR and Hodge leave the ring, but Triple H stops Stacy from leaving. JR then gets in Triple H's face. He said JR might not of heard him, he said to go away. JR said he heard him and knows he is World's Champion, but refuses to leave him alone with Stacy. Triple H tells JR to run along. Flair low blows JR. Danny Hodge then gives Triple H a big right hand. Triple H and Ric Flair take down Hodge quickly. Triple H grabs Stacy again and stops her from leaving the ring. He demands Stacy give him some action since he saw what she did with Randy Orton last week. Triple H goes to kiss Stacy, but decides to give her a Pedigree instead. Randy Orton hits the ring and Triple H throws Stacy into him. Triple H and Ric Flair leave the ring smiling at Orton, backing up the ramp. Orton stares down Triple H and Flair as they walk up the ramp.
- A promo for the Casket Match between The Undertaker & Heidenreich at the Royal Rumble this Sunday is shown.
- Backstage, Triple H grabs Candice. She pushes him away and he says she wants it. Flair cheers him on. They walk in the Evolution locker room and start talking to Batista. They both tell Batista what they just did to Jim Ross and Danny Hodge. Triple H talks about how he was about to give Stacy a Pedigree and Batista has a confused look on his face. Batista said he decided to take the qualifying match for the Royal Rumble tonight. Triple H said he thought they talked it over. Batista said that is right and brings up that if Triple H somehow loses to Randy Orton this Sunday, he can win the Rumble and go to WrestleMania to bring the World Title back to Evolution. Triple H and Flair stare him down as he leaves the room.
- Backstage, William Regal asks for a spot in the Royal Rumble. Bischoff denies it and gives it to The Coach instead. La Resistance come in and asks for their spots in the Rumble. He is confused since they are World Tag Team Champions. Batista comes in and tells Bischoff he is ready for his qualifying match. La Resistance propose they take on Batista in a Handicap Match, with the winners gaining a spot in the Royal Rumble. Bischoff said he isn't sure about that. Batista agrees to it and Conway tells Batista he will shove his Quebec flag down his throat. Batista said when he wins, he will shove the flag up somewhere /*.
- They plug an update regarding Stone Cold Steve Austin for later tonight.
- The Coach is in the ring and announces an Over The Top Rope Challenge involving Tajiri and Viscera in a Qualifying Match for the Royal Rumble.
Over The Top Rope Challenge - Royal Rumble Qualifying Match
Tajiri vs. Viscera
The match starts with Tajiri spraying the green mist in the face of Viscera. Tajiri attempts his elbow flip off the ropes, but Viscera takes him out with a big clothesline. Viscera grabs Tajiri and tosses him over the top rope quickly.
- Highlights of Kane confronting Trish Stratus and giving her a chokeslam last week on RAW is shown. Highlights of the No Holds Barred Match that followed between Kane and Gene Snitsky is shown as well, with the chokeslam off the ramp onto tables on the ground ending the package. JR & The King plug that both are currently resting to recover from that big bump, but plan on competing in the Royal Rumble.
- Up next is Batista vs. La Resistance in a Qualifying Match for the Royal Rumble.
- WWE REWIND: La Resistance victorious last week on RAW teaming with Maven against The Hurricane, Rosey & Shelton Benjamin.
- Backstage, Tajiri is shown in pain. Maria asks him what it was like not qualifying for the Royal Rumble. William Regal comes up and tells Tajiri that if he wants to get back at Bischoff, he can help him out.
Royal Rumble Qualifying Match
Batista vs. La Resistance
Before the match starts, Sylvain Grenier starts to sing "Oh Canada" when Batista knocks him out. Batista sends Rob Conway into the ropes and takes him out with a big shoulder block. Batista gives Grenier some shoulder charges in the corner and then launches him with impact into the opposite corner. Batista misses a charge on Grenier in the corner. Conway gets in a few forearms and kicks. Grenier gives Batista an armbar takedown. Both Conway and Grenier give Batista some stiff kicks. Grenier holds Batista as Conway slaps him. Batista throws down Conway and then slams Grenier hard on the mat. Batista gives Grenier a huge clothesline as Triple H and Ric Flair look on from the back. Batista gives Conway a spinebuster on Grenier, covers and gets the pinfall.
After the match, Batista gets one of the Quebec flags and plants it between La Resistance on the ground (I guess it was suppose to look like it was up Conway's butt). He mocks them by saluting it and celebrates up on the top rope. Backstage, Flair puts over how impressive that was. Triple H then says he has something to do and leaves the room.
- WWE SLAM OF THE WEEK: Muhammad Hassan & Khosrow Daivari confronting Chris Jericho last week on RAW during the Highlight Reel segment.
Royal Rumble Qualifying Match
Muhammad Hassan w/ Khosrow Daivari vs. Val Venis
Before the match starts, Daivari grabs the mic and chases Lilian Garcia out of the ring. He starts to taunt at Venis when Hassan attacks him from behind. Daivari stays on the mic cheering on Hassan who launches Venis into the corner with impact. Hassan gives Venis a snap suplex followed by some stiff kicks to the back. Hassan gives Venis a big backbreaker followed by choking out Venis a bit. Venis fights back with some chops, but Hassan comes back with some quick forearms. Hassan puts Venis on the bottom rope, distracts the referee and Daivari gets in a few cheap slaps. Hassan gives Venis a scoop slam followed by some kicks to the head. Hassan applies a modified Camel Clutch. Venis fights back with some elbows to the gut. Venis takes out Hassan with a quick clothesline and a few more right hands. Venis takes out Hassan with a few quick elbows, but Hassan fights back. Venis hits a quick Blue Thunder Pin, but Hassan kicks out after two. Venis gives Hassan a big full nelson and then goes up to the top. Venis jumps, but misses the Money Shot when Hassan moves out of the way. Hassan then grabs Venis and hits a Modified STO for the pinfall.
Winner: Muhammad Hassan
After the match, Hassan applies a modified Camel Clutch on Venis as the bell rings numerous times. Daivari then introduces the crowd to the next winner of the Royal Rumble, Muhammad Hassan. JR contemplates how bad it would be if Hassan was to win the Rumble and go onto WrestleMania.
- Backstage, Ric Flair is with Batista cheering him on. Triple H congratulates him and said he couldn't help but agree with what he said earlier. He said at the Royal Rumble, Evolution needs to cover all their bases. Triple H said he just went to Eric Bischoff and got Ric Flair the last spot in the Royal Rumble. Flair is confused, saying he thought the focus was on Randy Orton that night. Triple H said after he retains, it will be the remaining members of Evolution controlling the fate of the Rumble. Triple H said that is in a few days thought and tonight the focus is on Flair beating Randy Orton. Flair said he would take out Orton tonight. All three gather in to talk privately as we head to a commercial break.
- Back live, Maven is on the mic and announced that Eric Bischoff gave him a second chance to get in the Royal Rumble. He issues an open challenge to someone who has already qualified for the Royal Rumble and if he beats them, he takes their spot. Time passes and no one comes out. Maven mocks the people in the back for not taking him out. Pyro then goes off in the entrance ramp and out comes Kane covered in bandages and having trouble walking.
Maven asks what Kane is doing here tonight. He said he didn't mean him. Maven said Kane is in no shape to fight tonight. He then says if there is anybody /* backstage that has qualified for the Rumble, then they should come out right now. Gene Snitsky's music hits and he limps down the ramp with his ribs taped up.
Lilian Garcia then announces over the mic that this match is now a Triple Threat.
Triple Threat Match
Kane vs. Gene Snitsky vs. Maven
The match starts with Kane and Snitsky exchanging stiff punches to their ribs. Both are still in a good amount of pain. Kane and Snitsky both charge and give each other a big boot. Maven pins Snitsky, but he kicks out. Kane takes out Snitsky with a clothesline. Kane covers Snitsky, but Maven breaks it up with some forearms to the back. Kane looks to take out Maven when Snitsky takes him out from behind. Kane clotheslines Snitsky over the top rope to the outside. Maven gives Kane some hard fists to his injured shoulder. Kane comes back giving Maven a big chokeslam. Kane covers and gets the pinfall.
After the match, Snitsky walks up the ramp staring down Kane as pyro goes off in all four corners.
- Up next, an exclusive update on Stone Cold Steve Austin.
- A promo for the World Heavyweight Title Match between Triple H and Randy Orton at the Royal Rumble this Sunday is shown.
- Back live, Christy Hemme is shooting t-shirts into the crowd.
- Footage airs from the press conference that took place last week in Hollywood, CA regarding Stone Cold Steve Austin signing a three-film deal with WWE Films. They also show footage from The Best Damn Sports Show appearance as well. Austin talks about how much fun he has had with the WWE crowd and looks forward to raising some hell on screen this time around.
- Michael Cole & Tazz run down the card for the Royal Rumble on the SmackDown side:
* The Undertaker vs. Heidenreich - Casket Match.
* JBL (c) vs. Big Show vs. Kurt Angle - WWE Championship.
* 15 SmackDown superstars will compete in the Royal Rumble.
- JR & The King run down the card for the Royal Rumble on the RAW side:
* Shawn Michaels vs. Edge.
* Triple H (c) vs. Randy Orton - World Heavyweight Title.
* 15 RAW superstars will compete in the Royal Rumble.
- Backstage, Todd Grisham is with Edge. He shows footage from last week on RAW when Edge attacked HBK and then applying a modified Sharpshooter. Grisham said people have started to call him bitter as of late. Edge said he isn't bitter. He said he sat out two WrestleMania's with a broken neck, but this Sunday that could all change by winning the Royal Rumble and beating Shawn Michaels that same night. Edge said no one will stop him this Sunday from accomplishing his goal.
- Randy Orton is shown making his way to the arena. Orton vs. Flair is up next.
- A promo airs for "The Masterpiece" Chris Masters.
Ric Flair w/ Triple H & Batista vs. Randy Orton
The match starts with both locking up and Orton taking down Flair with a quick shoulder block. Orton slaps Flair quickly and they lock up yet again. Orton takes out Flair with a big dropkick. Orton goes to grab Flair, but Flair gets a rake to the eye. Flair gives Orton a quick chop in the corner followed by a hard right. Flair gives Orton yet another chop and another hard right. Flair gives Orton a few more lefts and rights followed by a quick chop. Orton blocks another right hand from Flair and gives him some rights and lefts. Orton backs up telling Flair to bring it on. Flair comes out of the corner and takes the famous nose-dive to the mat. Orton gives Flair a big back body drop and Flair rolls to the outside. Orton gives Flair some rights and lefts on the outside, but Flair fights back with a few chops of his own. Orton sends Flair into the lap of a fan in the front row. Orton pulls Flair off the fan, but Flair gets in a rake to the eye. Flair goes up to the top, but Orton throws him off. Orton gives Flair another big back body drop. Orton tries to go off the ropes, but Triple H trips him up. Flair sends Orton over the top rope. The referee confronts Batista and Triple H, asking who tripped up Orton. Batista ends up getting blamed and sent to the back. Batista stares down Triple H as he walks by and heads to the back.
Back live, Flair gets in a chop on Orton. Orton fights back with a right hand. Orton launches Flair into the corner with impact, causing him to fall to the outside. Triple H checks on Flair as he gets up on the ring apron. Orton suplexes Flair from the ring apron over the top rope back into the ring. Orton covers, but only gets a two count. Flair begs for Orton to stop. Orton sends Flair into the ropes, jumps, but Flair holds onto the ropes and Orton misses a big dropkick. Triple H distracts the referee and Flair gets in a low blow on Orton. Flair drops his knee over Orton's head and then starts to hammer away at this forehead that is busted open at this point. Flair gets in a few more kicks and then distracts the referee as Triple H drops an elbow over the chest of Orton on the ring apron. Flair drops Orton's head over the top rope, causing Orton to fall off the ring apron to the outside. Flair gives Orton five chops to the chest, but he stands on his feet taking them in. Orton gives Flair a big right hand followed by 10 big right hands up on the turnbuckle. Flair takes another nose-dive from the corner followed by Orton giving him another back body drop. Orton takes out Flair with a clothesline followed by a modified back breaker. Orton hits a powerslam on Flair as he came off the ropes, but only gets a two count. Orton knocks Triple H off the ring apron, but Flair comes from behind and clips him. Orton grabs his knee when Flair tries to lock on the Figure Four. Orton counters out of it, pushing Flair into the referee. Triple H runs in and clips Orton's knee with the World Title. Flair applies the Figure Four. Another referee hits the ring and Orton lifts his shoulders off the mat at the two count. Orton turns over the Figure Four, but Triple H pulls the referee out of the ring. Triple H drops an elbow across the back of Orton's neck followed by dropping another elbow across Orton's knee. Triple H gives Orton a few more stiff kicks to the knee. Triple H grabs the World Title, gets up on the top turnbuckle, jumps, but Orton gets a boot up and Triple H gets knocked out. Orton hits the RKO on Flair, covers...1...2...3.
Winner: Randy Orton
After the match, Orton picks up the World Title and raises it high in the air staring down Triple H as RAW goes off the air...Quick Match Results:
* Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit defeated Edge, Christian & Tyson Tomko in a Six Man Tag Team Match.
* Viscera defeated Tajiri in an Over The Top Rope Challenge to Qualify for the Royal Rumble.
* Batista defeated La Resistance in a Handicap Match to qualify for the Royal Rumble.
* Muhammad Hassan defeated val Venis to Qualify for the Royal Rumble.
* Kane defeated Maven & Gene Snitsky in a Triple Threat Match.
* Randy Orton defeated Ric Flair.