On Monday, April 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM EST WWE Monday Night Raw Results
April 28, 2008
East Rutherford, NJ
Commentators: Jim Ross & Jerry “The King” Lawler
Reported By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
- The WWE promo hits.
- A video package runs showing highlights from last night's Fatal Four Way main event that saw Triple H capture the WWE Championship.
- The Monday Night Raw promo hits.
- We go live to East Rutherford, NJ where a large display of pyro goes off. Jim Ross welcomes us to the sold out Izod Center along with Jerry Lawler.
- Triple H's music hits to kick off the show. Triple H appears with a leather jacket on, opens it up and reveals the WWE Title around his waist. Lawler says the "Age of Orton" is no more. Ross puts over how this is Triple H's 12th reign as WWE Champion. Triple H grabs the mic as the fans cheer loudly for him. He said before we get started he has an announcement to make - he hates to be a downer, but as of right now, the "Age of Orton" is officially dead. Triple H said eight months ago he stood behind the curtain. The fans start a loud "TRIPLE H" chant. He said he was ready to make a comeback not knowing what was going to happen and if he could truly be the best again. Eight months later he returns to that very same building and can proclaim that The Game is back.
Randy Orton's music hits cutting off Triple H. Orton walks down the ramp shaking his head at Triple H. Orton grabs a mic and says he doesn't think so. He said Triple H does not get a victory speech. Orton asks Triple H if he is actually proud of what he did last night. He said the odds were stacked against him last night. Triple H cuts him off reminding Randy that he came up to him backstage saying he would walk in and walk out champion. Orton said he is a victim of his own success. He said he was so dominate that they couldn't put him against anyone one-on-one. Triple H said Orton would face anyone one-on-one. He said Orton seemed to enjoy these Triple Threats and Fatal Four Way's. Orton said no one was on his level, not even Triple H. He said he will prove it in three weeks at Judgment Day. Orton said in three short weeks he will use his rematch clause to get back what belongs to him. He said he had that WWE Title for six months. Triple H said yeah, yeah. He said Orton made a career running his mouth telling people he was great. Triple H added he did the same in his career, but the difference was that he was telling the truth. He said he is pretty sure people are sick of hearing Orton run his mouth and tells him to get the hell out of his ring. Orton said he isn't going anywhere because this is his ring and that is his title. Triple H then knocks out Orton with his mic. Orton bails from the ring and gets on the mic. He said forget Judgment Day - he doesn't want to wait that long. Orton said Triple H is wrong saying the "Age of Orton" is dead. He said Triple H's last title reign didn't even last 24 hours and he will use his rematch clause tonight. Triple H and Orton stare each other down. Triple H holds up the WWE Title as his music hits. Orton backs off going up the ramp still staring down Triple H.
- We go to ringside with Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. They hope to confirm that tonight we will indeed see a WWE Title Match between Triple H and Randy Orton tonight.
- Tomorrow night on ECW on Sci Fi: ECW Champion Kane vs. Chavo Guerrero & Bam Neely in a Handicap Match.
- We are back. JR and The King confirm the WWE Championship Match tonight between champion Triple H and challenger Randy Orton.
12-Diva Tag Team Match (Backlash rematch)
WWE Women's Champion Mickie James, Maria, Ashley, Michelle McCool, Cherry & Kelly Kelly vs. Beth Phoenix, Melina, Jillian, Layla, Victoria & Natalya
The match kicks off with all of the Divas brawling. We are left with Beth Phoenix and Kelly Kelly in the ring as the bell rings officially. Beth powers Kelly down with force. Beth plants Kelly in the corner and tags in Victoria. Kelly slaps Victoria and Victoria responds by dropping an elbow over her body. Kelly with a spinning head scissors takedown on Victoria. Victoria responds with a big kick and tags in Melina. Victoria sets up Kelly in the corner, Melina charges and takes her out. Michelle McCool with a cheap shot on Melina kneeing her in the back as she came off the ropes. Melina grounds Kelly, lands an elbow and tags in Jillian Hall. Jillian attempts a flip dive into Kelly, but Kelly kicks her. Mickie James gets the tag and goes after Jillian with a big flying clothesline. Jillian counters a huricanranna by Mickie. Mickie kicks Victoria off the ring apron and then Mickie finally hits her huricanranna. Layla with a kick to Mickie from the ring apron. Mickie fights back with a kick and rollup on Jillian to get the pinfall.
Winners: WWE Women's Champion Mickie James, Maria, Ashley, Michelle McCool, Cherry & Kelly Kelly
After the match, Mickie James holds up her WWE Women's Title smiling at the Diva heels.
- Later Tonight: The official "King of the Ring" coronation of William Regal.
- A highlight video of last night's Backlash PPV airs.
JBL vs. Robbie McAllister w/ Rory McAllister
The match kicks off with both locking up and JBL pushing Robbie into the corner. JBL gets in some stiff knees and kicks to Robbie. JBL with a side back suplex on Robbie and then follows it up with a kick to the back. JBL drops two elbows over the chest of Robbie, goes off the ropes and catches Robbie with the Clothesline From Hell. JBL covers Robbie and gets the pinfall.
Winner: John Bradshaw Layfield
After the match, JBL calls Rory McAllister to get in the ring. Rory backs off and chooses not to. JBL then leaves the ring, goes to the announce table, puts on a headset and said that should have been John Cena last night. He said Cena robbed of him of his chance to win the WWE Title last night. JBL said he plans to challenge the winner of tonight's WWE Title Match between Triple H and Randy Orton and promises to get revenge on Cena. He said he will do whatever it takes to get the belt back. JBL throws off his headset and tells JR and Lawler to commentate on that.
- Later Tonight: Triple H defends the WWE Title against Randy Orton.
- Footage is shown from two weeks ago when Trevor Murdoch lost to JTG and Lance Cade walked out on Murdoch.
Paul London & Brian Kendrick vs. Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch
The match kicks off with Paul London and Lance Cade. Cade hits London with a knee and some stiff forearms. Cade with a high back body drop on London. Murdoch gets the tag and drops a knee over the back of London. Murdoch with a big elbow to London's head, cover and a two count. Cade tags himself in and hits London with a big kick on the ground. London catches Cade with a big elbow, counters a high back body drop and tags in Kendrick who takes out Cade with a big dropkick. Another dropkick on Cade and charge in the corner. Kendrick gets tossed into the corner by Cade and Cade with a clothesline to the back of Kendrick's head. Murdoch gets the tag, Kendrick rolls him up and gets the pinfall.
Winners: Paul London & Brian Kendrick
After the match, Lance Cade gets in Trevor Murdoch's face and can't believe they just lost. Murdoch rolls out of the ring and takes the mic from Lilian Garcia. Murdoch stands on the Raw announce table and starts singing a Garth Brooks song. Not sure why I know that. It's the "I Got Friends in Low Places" song. Murdoch finishes singing the song and gets a decent reaction from the crowd. Cade has a confused look on his face and leaves the ring.
- Footage is shown from Shawn Michaels vs. Batista last night at Backlash when Michaels tweaked his knee, but was able to defeat Batista. Michaels will be the special guest on Chris Jericho's "Highlight Reel" tonight.
- JR and The King talk about the article about WWE in New York Times today.
2 on 1 Handicap Match
Paul Burchill & Katie Lea vs. Super Crazy
Before the match starts, Katie mentions that William Regal granted the permission to make this a 2 on 1 Handicap Match. Super Crazy gets in a few shots on Burchill. Katie grabs him and Crazy slams her down. Burchill then takes out Crazy with a snapmare and drops a knee. Katie drops an elbow over Crazy's back. Burchill pulls Crazy's head back and Katie kicks him in the face. Crazy fights back with some kicks to Burchill's knee, but Burchill stops any future offense. Katie misses a charge on Crazy and Crazy takes out Burchill with a dropkick. Crazy with a huricanranna on Burchill. Crazy misses a moonsault from the top when Burchill moves. Katie is up top and she takes out Crazy with a big missile dropkick. Burchill with the curb stomp on Crazy. Katie covers Crazy and gets the pinfall.
Winners: Paul Burchill & Katie Lea
- Backstage, Todd Grisham is with Randy Orton. Grisham asks if Orton has any second thoughts about invoking his rematch clause tonight. Orton stares at Grisham and simply says "NO!"
- Up Next: The "King of the Ring" coronation of William Regal.
- We are back live and the arena lights are out. Lilian Garcia said we are about to witness the real King of the WWE, William Regal. The lights come back on and Regal is sitting on a throne in the middle of the ring. Regal said he will not give up his position as General Manager of Raw. He has earned both titles as GM and King and he has now become the most powerful entity in the entire WWE. Regal said natural jealousy will not allow most to like him, but all of the audience will have no choice but to respect and fear him. He said from this day forward he is your ruler, your better and your...Mr. Kennedy's music hits to cut him off.
Mr. Kennedy walks out staring down Regal. Kennedy gets in Regal's face and says, "Mr. Regal, I'd love to be the first guy from any of the brands to come out here and congratulate you on becoming King of the Ring." He said he would love to, but he just can't do that. Kennedy asks who is the biggest superstar in WWE that wasn't invited to compete in the King of the Ring tournament. The fans chant KENNEDY. He asks who is the guy that would love nothing more than to challenge you one-on-one to find out who the real King is. The fans again chant KENNEDY. He asks if Regal has anything and says he has the answer for him...MISTERRRRRRRRRRR - Regal cuts him off. Regal said no one talks to him like that unless they were granted an appointment. He suggests Kennedy apologize to him. Kennedy instead says his "MR. KENNEDY" line and Regal knocks him out with the mic. The two start brawling around the ring. WWE referees hit the ring and start to break it up. Referees break them apart and Kennedy has a busted lip and blood on his head. Regal has a scary look on his face staring down Kennedy as he backs off, leaves the ring and walks up the ramp still staring him down.
- Later Tonight: Triple H vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Title.
- Footage is shown from last week when Cody Rhodes and Hardcore Holly took out Carlito and Santino Marella.
- Carlito and Santino Marella come out. Santino said he doesn't like New Jersey or The Sopranos. He calls them stupid fake Italians and it makes him crazy. Cody Rhodes' music hits to cut off Santino. Rhodes is accompanied to the ring by Hardcore Holly.
Cody Rhodes w/ Hardcore Holly vs. Santino Marella w/ Carlito
Santino gets in a few elbows on Rhodes to kick the match off. Santino with a snapmare and kick to Rhodes' back. Santino with an elbow to the back on Rhodes. Rhodes attempts a springboard cross-body, but Santino moves out of the way. Santino with a heel trip on Rhodes and then locks on a headlock. Rhodes with a quick rollup on Santino that results in a two count. Santino fires back with a big elbow to the back of Rhodes. Santino applies a camel clutch on Rhodes. Rhodes counters that into an electric chair. Rhodes with a big dropkick on Santino followed by a big clothesline. Rhodes sends Santino face first into the corner, attempts a bulldog, Santino counters, gets a rollup, uses the ropes, but Rhodes kicks out. Rhodes with a big DDT on Santino, hooks the leg and gets the pinfall.
Winner: Cody Rhodes
After the match, Hardcore Holly hits the ring and celebrates with Cody. Carlito is shown upset at ringside looking on. Rhodes returns to the ring and gets on the mic. He says, "It's a me, Cody Rhodes" in an italian accent. Rhodes says as far as Santino and Carlito becoming the World Tag Team Champions...Carlito then runs in and drops Rhodes with a backcracker. Holly hits the ring to chase off Carlito as he heads to the back with Santino. Lawler says you should never turn your back on Carlito.
- Chris Jericho is shown making his way to the arena wearing a tux.
- "The Highlight Reel" with Shawn Michaels
Chris Jericho comes out wearing a tux. Jericho stands over a podium and welcomes everyone to a very special "awards" edition of the Highlight Reel. He said he is proud to present the "Best Actor in Sports Entertainment" award. The first nominees are Don Muraco and Mr. Fuji in "Fuji General." Jericho calls it brilliant. The next nominee is Michael Cole in "Deliverance Part 2" featuring Heidenreich and Cole from 2004. Jericho calls it creepy. He said the final nominee is Shawn Michaels faking a knee injury to in order to beat Batista at Backlash. Jericho reveals the winner to be his guest tonight...Shawn Michaels.
HBK's music hits and he makes his way down the ramp limping. Michaels gets in the ring and Jericho says kudos for his performance last night. He said Michaels truly deserves this award and that the audience should get a speech. Michaels tells Jericho he is hurt. Jericho said the match is over and he doesn't have to lie. He calls HBK a preacher to a backstabbing bastard. Jericho said if this podium wasn't blocking him then HBK probably would try to superkick him on his "bad" knee. He invites HBK to tell Batista in the camera that he "got him." HBK doesn't say anything. Jericho said he doesn't have to say a thing and calls him the Daniel Day-Lewis of WWE. He said hit this mans music. HBK's music plays as Jericho leaves the ring clapping and heads to the back. Michaels remains in the ring looking upset.
- Backstage, we see a shot of Triple H warming up for tonight's main event.
- JR and The King promote WWE Judgment Day on Sunday, May 18.
- Backstage, Santino is standing behind Roddy Piper. He thinks it is a WWE Diva wearing a kilt. Santino said he likes his ladies with a little "junk in the trunk." Piper turns around and Santino freaks out, yelling RODDY THE PIPER! Santino makes some fat jokes about Piper asking him to do the truffle shuffle. Piper slaps Santino and asks if he has a death wish or if he is just special.
- A highlight video airs of last night's Fatal Four Way at Backlash for the WWE Title.
- Randy Orton makes his way out to the ring. Up next is the WWE Title main event.
WWE Championship Match
Triple H (c) vs. Randy Orton
Lilian Garcia does ring introductions for the challenger Randy Orton and the champion Triple H.
The bell rings and here we go. Both lock up, Orton pushes Triple H against the ropes, they take turns countering and Orton pushes Triple H into the corner. Triple H pushes Orton into the corner until the referee breaks it up. Another lock up and Orton applies a headlock. Orton with a shoulder block on Triple H powering off the ropes. Another lock up and Orton applies yet another headlock. Triple H tries to break free going off the ropes, but Orton keeps it locked on. Triple H counters into a headlock of his own. Triple H with a shoulder block of his own coming off the ropes and follows it up with a crotch chop to Orton. Triple H levels Orton with a big clothesline. Triple H goes to work on the left arm of Orton. Orton breaks it up with a big kick and punch to Triple H. Orton misses a charge on Triple H in the corner hitting the steel ring post. Triple H grabs Orton and again sends him into the steel ring post. Triple H goes to the outside and rams Orton's arm against the steel ring post. Triple H does this again on the other post when Orton rolls near it. Triple H again goes to work on Orton's left arm. Triple H throws Orton to the outside and drops his arm over the ring barricade. Triple H tosses Orton back into the ring. When Triple H gets up on the ring apron, he tries to get in through the ropes and Orton kicks him right in the head. When Triple H gets up from the kick, Orton grabs him by the head and levels him with a big DDT through the second rope.
We are back live and Orton is leveling Triple H with big right hands. Triple H tries to fight back, but Orton keeps the right hands up. Triple H gets in a kick and finally gets some right hands in on Orton. Orton then takes out Triple H with a huge dropkick. Orton hooks the leg, but only gets a two count. Orton stays down and applies a sleeper on Triple H. Triple H fights to his feet and applies a sleeper on Orton. Orton counters that quickly into a back suplex. Orton begins kicking and stomping Triple H on the ground. Orton drops a knee over the head of Triple H, covers, but Triple H kicks out. Triple H slides under the bottom rope and Orton goes to the outside taking him out with some right hands. Orton tosses Triple H into the ring barricade and then bounces his head off the steel steps. Orton tosses Triple H back in the ring, covers again, but Triple H still kicks out. Orton hits a few forearms over the chest of Triple H and goes back to applying a sleeper. Triple H brings the action to their feet and Triple H drops Orton with a back suplex to break the sleeper. Triple H charges and Orton catches him with a big boot from the corner. Orton begins stalking Triple H begging him to stand up. Triple H gets to his feet, Orton attmepts the RKO, Triple H counters and sends Orton into the corner. Orton favors his left arm when he hits the corner. Triple H with a few right hands, knee to the face and clothesline.
Triple H bounces off the ropes, charges at Orton and Orton catches him with a big powerslam. Orton hooks the leg, but Triple H gets a shoulder up. Triple H with a flying knee to Orton's head. Cover by Triple H, but Orton gets a shoulder up. Triple H hits Orton with some stiff right hands and the referee gets in between to break it up. Orton then takes off at Triple H and drops him with an inverted backbreaker. Cover by Orton and Triple H kicks out. Orton then goes up to the top rope, but Triple H trips him up and crotches him. Triple H with a right hand, goes up top with Orton, lands a few rib shots and connects with a big superplex on Orton. Cover by Triple H and Orton gets a shoulder up. Orton with a thumb to the eye and uppercut on Triple H. RKO attempt, Triple H counters, kicks the gut, Pedigree attempt, but Orton counters and catapults Triple H into the corner. Orton attempts a clothesline, but Triple H locks on the Crossface. We then see William Regal in the production truck. Regal asks a director if he saw how the people disrespected him earlier tonight. Orton gets his boot on the bottom rope. Regal demands the director take the show off the air since they don't deserve to see the conclusion of this match tonight. The director keeps doing his job until Regal pulls his chair down and yells at him to take the feed off the air. We then go to a black screen and hear only audio of the match taking place.
The feed goes dead and "Law and Order" kicks in on USA. Wow, well there is a first time for everything with WWE.
We should have the result of the main event soon.
* WWE Women's Champion Mickie James, Maria, Ashley, Michelle McCool, Cherry & Kelly Kelly def. Beth Phoenix, Melina, Jillian, Layla, Victoria & Natalya in a 12-Diva Tag Team Backlash rematch.
* JBL def. Robbie McAllister.
* Paul London & Brian Kendrick def. Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch.
* Paul Burchill & Katie Lea def. Super Crazy in a 2 on 1 Handicap Match.
* Cody Rhodes def. Santino Marella.
* Triple H vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship was cut off before the finish could be shown.