Reported by Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
'WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2007' Induction Ceremony from Detroit, MI
On Sunday, April 1, 2007 at 1:14 AM EST WWE Hall of Fame - Class of 2007 Ceremony on USA Network
Location: Fox Theatre in Detroit, Michigan
Report By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
Click here for results of the Hall of Fame from earlier tonight.
- The WWE promo hits.
- Another opening promo hits highlighting past WWE Hall of Fame inductees. "Tonight, we celebrate the Class of 2007." This includes "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig, Jerry "The King" Lawler, Jim Ross and "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.
- We then go to the Fox Theatre in Detroit, MI as we see shots of WWE stars in attendance standing and clapping. The curtain opens and reveals the set for the 2007 WWE Hall of Fame. Todd Grisham then introduces Stone Cold Steve Austin.
- Austin gets a big reaction from the crowd in Detroit. Austin thanks the crowd. He says he is very happy to be at the Hall of Fame and one of his favorite nights of the year. Austin said the guy he is going to bring out is the one of the greatest announcers of all time. He said not just the wrestling business, but any other sport in history. Austin said no one has been able to call a match or talk about Stone Cold Steve Austin like Jim Ross. Austin then introduces a video package on Ross.
- A video package airs highlighting Jim Ross.
- Jim Ross Induction: Austin then introduces Jim Ross to the crowd in Detroit. The famous Oklahoma Sooners fight song hits as the crowd in Detroit starts a loud "JR" chant. JR said he is here today because he is passionate about this business. He said the biggest break in his career was when he married his wife in 1993. The same year, he came to work for the WWE and that was his second biggest break. He called it 19 years in the making. JR said he has had so much fun in this business and says he is what he is, a wrestling fan. He said he truly believes going into the Hall of Fame marks the first person who is and always will be strictly a huge wrestling fan. JR said his soul is smiling an eternal smile. He thanks everyone for being here to celebrate a wrestling fan being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. "Dreams can come true," said JR as he thanked everyone to end his speech.
- STILL TO COME: "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.
- UP NEXT: Jerry "The King" Lawler.
- We are back and see a shot outside of the Fox Theatre in Detroit. Todd Grisham then introduces William Shatner.
- William Shatner comes out and gets a decent reaction from the crowd in Detroit. He said it is a pleasure to be among the people he has watched for so many years. Shatner brings up January of 1995 in Houston, TX when he was in the ring with Jerry Lawler (Shatner read his entire speech word-for-word looking down at a paper). Shatner then introduces a video package on Lawler.
- A video package airs highlighting Jerry "The King" Lawler.
- Shatner introduces Jerry Lawler. We then go to a quick commercial break and will be back with Lawler's induction speech.
- Jerry Lawler Induction: Lawler says it is great to be here tonight. He talks about coming to WWE in 1993. Lawler thanks Bret "The Hitman" Hart during his early career in WWE. He said it led to a big "kiss my foot" match and said he did great things with Bret. Lawler said he is best known to many fans as working behind the announce table with Jim Ross. He called JR the best there ever was. Lawler said it is such a special weekend with WrestleMania 23 going down Sunday. He talks about the Battle of the Billionaires Match tomorrow and how if one of them wants to run their finger through their hair after Sunday, they will have to cut holes in their pockets! Lawler laughs and thanks everyone.
- UP NEXT: The induction or "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig.
- We are back at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. Todd Grisham introduces MLB Hall of Famer Wade Boggs. Boggs spits gum out of his mouth and slaps it to honor Mr. Perfect. He said he is so happy to be here tonight to introduce Curt Hennig, a second generation wrestler. Boggs said he had style, charisma, showmanship and an infectious laugh. He said that is why you could call him Perfect. Boggs said he is honored to induct his friend and the newest member of the WWE Hall of Fame..."Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig. Boggs introduces a video package on Hennig.
- A video package airs highlighting "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig.
- Curt Hennig Induction: Wade Boggs introduced Curt Hennig's family which included his wife, children, mom and dad. Leonice Hennig spoke on behalf of Curt as the crowd chanted "Mr. Perfect" loudly. She thanks everyone and said it is an honor to induct her husband tonight. Leonice said she feels honored to have had a husband like him and he was what he said he was, absolutely perfect.
- UP NEXT: "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.
- We return to the Fox Theatre in Detroit. Todd Grisham said it is now time to induct "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. He then introduces Dusty's two sons, Dustin Runnels and Cody Rhodes. Dustin said he has always wanted to be like his dad, but understood he had to do it his own way. He said he is proud to be here tonight with his brother Cody to induct their father. Cody says before they talk about their father, he mentions how the Attitude Era was helped defined by the enevelope pushing "Goldust" character and said his brother will never get the credit he truly deserves. Cody said "The American Dream" was the greatest talker in the history of this business. He said all Dusty Rhodes needed was a microphone and compared them to stars today who talk people into the building such as John Cena and Ken Kennedy. Cody said Dusty Rhodes defined what common was for the common man. He then introduces a video package for the common man, Dusty Rhodes.
- A video package airs highlighting "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.
- Cody then introduces his father Dusty Rhodes. Dusty does his famous dance with Kristal Marshall during his entrance. Dusty hugs both of his sons. We then go to a quick commercial break and will be back with Rhodes' induction speech.
- Dusty Rhodes Induction: We are back and the crowd in Detroit is chanting "DUSTY" loudly. Rhodes walks back and forth across the stage taking it in. He said a lot has been said tonight about passion in this industry. Rhodes said we don't have to talk about what he has done and where he has been tonight. He said one thing is for sure, when you go back and look at the wrestling industry, you see passion. Rhodes said it was hard times on the road and those times continue today. He said it is our duty to make it good times for the fans who pay money to see the wrestling business. Rhodes said guys in the business have passion. Passion is offering to main event WrestleMania for free. Rhodes talks about a guy who has done that and can't do it this year, Triple H. He claps for Triple H and Triple H stands up as the crowd cheers loudly. Rhodes said he wants to take all of this in tonight. He brings up names like The Sheik and Kevin Sullivan, adding that Sullivan put a spike right in him. Rhodes joked that if he did that today, Stephanie McMahon would fire his ass right away. They show a shot of Stephanie laughing. He points out another tough guy, Harley Race. Harley stands up in the crowd. Rhodes also points out Ric Flair, who he calls the greatest performer in the history of the business. The fans in Detroit cheer loudly as Flair has tears in his eyes. Flair walks up and shakes Rhodes' hand. Rhodes said he thought he was going to cry so he brought a handkerchief with him. He pulls it out and it is black with yellow poka dots. Rhodes said if you are young and you want to get in this industry, get yourself a tape of Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. He said the passion he has for this industry is why he is still here. Rhodes said he is trying to catch up with the "e-mail age" in his work with WWE today even though he tells someone face-to-face. He mentions Dick Murdoch and wonders where he is at in his heart and then if not JBL is staring at him in the face. Rhodes calls that reincarnation. He brings up the Divas and how they are the best looking in the history of the business. Rhodes said he loves this industry and thanks the fans for putting him in the place he is today, in the Hall of Fame. He has Ric Flair, Harley Race and Arn Anderson stand up and wants them to induct them into the Four Horsemen. He says quote, "Truly tonight he has wined and dined with kings and queens. Thank you."
- Todd Grisham closes the show saying this is your class of 2007. Confetti goes off in the Fox Theatre as the show comes to a close.