Reported by Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
Cyber Sunday PPV Results - 10/28 - Washington, DC (Batista/Taker)
On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 10:58 PM EST WWE Cyber Sunday PPV Results - 10/28/07
Location: Washington, D.C.
Announcers: Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler, Michael Cole & JBL and Joey Styles & Tazz
Report By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
- The WWE promo hits.
- A video package airs showing the importance of the fan voting behind the Cyber Sunday concept.
- A graphic opening then welcomes us to Cyber Sunday as we go live to the Verizon Center. A display of pyro goes off as well.
- Rey Mysterio defeated Finlay in a Stretcher Match. The stretcher stipulation got 40% of the vote to the Shillelagh on a Pole Match and the No DQ Match. Fans in Washington, D.C. were really behind Mysterio and Finlay got some great heel heat. The object here is to put your opponent on the stretcher and push him to the finish line. A shillelagh ended up getting involved in the match with Finlay using it on Mysterio. The finish saw Mysterio hit the 619 on Finlay knocking him onto the stretcher at ringside followed by a big flip dive on Finlay over the stretcher. As Mysterio was wheeling Finlay to the finish line, the stretcher got caught on some cable cord. Looks like both improvised big time at this point as Finlay got off the stretcher, but got knocked back on it and Mysterio wheeeled him to the finish to get the win.
- As noted on WWE.com, they are continuing the speculation that Matt Hardy won't be competing tonight against MVP after suffering an injury on Smackdown. They showed post-match photos of Hardy who was clearly banged up and required stitches to his forehead. They show MVP confronting Matt backstage saying he agreed with the medical professionals on not clearing him to compete tonight. Hardy said he still wanted to compete. MVP said he heard a decision has already been made for his opponents tonight to either be Mark Henry, The Great Khali or Kane with the WWE U.S. Title on the line.
- At ringside, JBL was shown wearing a referee outfit saying the voting is close tonight. Voting is also available on WWE.com for tonight's U.S. Title Match involving MVP defending against either Mark Henry, The Great Khali or Kane.
- A backstage promo was shown of Victoria and Kenny Dykstra dressed as Mr. Fuji and Yokozuna for Halloween.
- CM Punk defeated The Miz to retain the ECW Championship. The Miz won 39% of the vote. Gotta say this was a big shock here. Lots of ground wrestling early on between the two, which might have been an indicator that they didn't think the voting was going to go this way at all. Fans in Washington, D.C. where chanting "YOU CAN'T WRESTLE" at The Miz. Despite the fan reaction, the match wasn't all that bad. Punk hit a quick bulldog on Miz that resulted in a two count. The finish saw Punk get the win with the Go To Sleep to retain the title.
- Backstage, Mickie James was shown wearing a Native American costume, while Torrie Wilson was wearing a Washington Redskins jersey.
- A video package aired looking at the current WWE Title situation.
- Shawn Michaels won 59% of the vote to face Randy Orton tonight for the WWE Title. They announced the two losers would face each other in a singles match next.
- Mr. Kennedy defeated WWE Intercontinental Champion Jeff Hardy in a Non-Title Bonus Match. Hardy sent Kennedy to the floor early on in the match, with Hardy taking out Kennedy by leaping over the top rope. Hardy took out Kennedy with a quick huricanranna back in the ring. Kennedy blocked a Twist of Fate attempt only to get the Whisper in the Wind. The finish, which went down rather quickly, saw Hardy miss a dropkick and hit his head on the mat allowing Kennedy to cover for the quick pinfall.
- Backstage, Michelle McCool is dressed as Eve, while Melina is dressed like a Las Vegas showgirl.
- A JBL video aired (very political like and rather funny) to get fans to vote for him. Mick Foley also went for the fans vote as well tonight with the classic "yeah!" line at the end.
- Kane won 67% of the vote to earn a shot at the WWE U.S. Title against MVP.
- Kane defeated WWE U.S. Champion MVP via countout - MVP retains the U.S. Title. The match started with MVP avoiding Kane early on. Kane sent MVP into the ring post and started working on his ribs. Kane continued to work on his ribs with numerous punches, knees and kicks. The finish saw MVP simply roll out and fall to the floor and accept the countout finish. The crowd didn't seem to like this finish and who would for $40?
- Another "Save_Us" video aired.
- Promo for Survivor Series on November 18 aired.
- Backstage, Layla is dressed as a cop and Kelly Kelly is dressed up like a ganster.
- Backstage, WWE Champion Randy Orton talked about his upcoming title defense against Shawn Michaels. A video aired of Orton taking out HBK in the past and how tonight would be no different.
- Shawn Michaels defeated WWE Champion Randy Orton via DQ; Orton retains the WWE Title. Early on, Orton caught HBK with a big uppercut. They started exchaning blows in the ring until Orton took HBK down and started working on his left elbow that was taped up. HBK got a close pinfall after after counting a back drop attempt by Orton. Orton then got in a series of offense on HBK with a quick backbreaker. HBK responded with an flying elbow off the top, but Orton moved. HBK countered an RKO attempt by Orton into a close backslide pin. HBK finally connected with the flying elbow. HBK started to tune up the band as the fans got behind him. The finish saw HBK go for the Sweet Chin Music, but Orton ducked and low blowed HBK to cause the DQ. After the match, Orton looked to kick HBK in the head to put him out of action again until HBK jumped up to his feet and connected with the Sweet Chin Music on Orton.
- A promo for WrestleMania 24 on March 30, 2008 aired. Tickets go on sale this Saturday.
- We saw a shot of Brooke dressed as Jane (from the jungle) and Jillian Hall is dressed as Britney Spears. Jim Ross called this the worst Halloween costume contest ever.
- The Street Fight stipluation won with 57% of the vote for Triple H vs. Umaga tonight. The crowd in Washington, D.C. didn't like this and obviously wanted to see a Steel Cage.
- Triple H defeated Umaga in a Street Fight Match. The match started right away with both brawling at the entrance area when Umaga came out second. The action spilled into the audience a bit until they both made it to the ringside area. Triple H brought in a trash can and cracked it over the head of Umaga. They brawled to the outside again and Umaga sent Triple H into the steel steps. Umaga tried to use a steel chair on Triple H, but Triple H caught Umaga with a low blow followed by giving Umaga a DDT over the chair. Umaga went to the outside and removed the top of the announce tables at ringside. Umaga took out Triple H with a splash through the ECW announce table. The action spilled back into the ring and Umaga attempted a splash, but Triple H moved. The finish saw Triple H get a sledgehammer on the outside. Once inside, Umaga attempted a Samoan Spike but missed. Triple H caught Umaga with the sledgehammer followed by a Pedigree and got the pinfall. Very good match.
- Mickie James won the Divas Halloween Costume Contest with 21% of the vote.
- A video package runs highlighting tonight's World Heavyweight Title match between champion Batista and challenger The Undertaker.
- Todd Grisham announced that over 13 million votes were cast for tonight's PPV.
- Steve Austin won the special guest referee poll with 79% of the vote. JBL got into the ring to dispute the results. Mick Foley came down as well. Austin came out last. Austin took out Foley with a Stunner, but got a clothesline from JBL. Austin eventually came back and gave JBL a Stunner.
- Batista defeated The Undertaker to retain the World Heavyweight Championship with Steve Austin as the special guest referee. Crowd in Washington, D.C. was really behind Undertaker tonight. Batista still got good reactions though and wasn't the complete heel in the match. Jerry Lawler had to sit in for JBL at the Smackdown booth along with Michael Cole. Early on, Batista countered an Old School attempt by Undertaker. Undertaker responded by dropping his leg across the neck of Batista on the ring apron. Batista countered another Old School attempt and connected with a big spinebuster on Undertaker. Undertaker responded with a big chokeslam as well. Batista with a Spear on Undertaker, but only got a close two count. Undertaker with a Last Ride on Batista and another kick out. Fans were really into the constant finisher attempts and kick outs. Batista took out Undertaker with another spinebuster and again got a two count. Batista then hit Undertaker with two Batista Bomb's and Undertaker kicked out of both. The finish saw Batista hit a third Batista Bomb and get the pinfall to retain the World Title. After the match, Batista celebrated his title victory and Undertaker stared him down from the ring teasing a possible rematch. Another solid match between these two guys. They just work really well together.