credit: David “Wesker” Brootcoorens and Gerweck.net
WWE came back to Brussels for the fifth time in a row. The Smackdown brand gave us a very solid show. Here are the results from the Vorst Nationaal Arena (which was sold out)
– MVP beat Tyler Reks. MVP was extremely over in Brussels. (He had appeared with Kelly Kelly at a “meet & greet” earlier today)
– Finlay defeated Drew McIntyre after he hit him with the shillelagh when the ref’s back was turned. This was quite the upset victory in a hard-hitting fight. Finlay posed with the Belgian flag after the match.
– Dolph Ziggler defeated Kofi Kingston, Kaval and “Dashing” Cody Rhodes in a fatal four way with the Intercontinental title on the line. Kaval looked good in the match!
– Natalya defeated Layla in a match which had Kelly Kelly as a special referee.
– Edge and Rey Mysterio defeated Jack Swagger (with the eagle) and Alberto Del Rio. The eagle and Swagger were hilarious as they “soared” to the ring. After the match, the eagle was left alone in the ring beaten up by Edge and Rey (619!). Great pop for both Edge and Rey.
– The Hart Dynasty and Bret “The Hitman” Hart defeated the Nexus (Heath Slater, Husky Harris and David Otunga with Justin Gabriel) in an entertaining six-man tag match when Bret put Slater in the Sharpshooter. It was awesome to see a WWE legend like Bret Hart in real life.
– Chris Masters defeated Chavo Guerrero with the Masterlock submission. Chavo hit the “3 Amigos” but missed the Frog Splash, which allowed Masters to lock in the Masterlock.
– Big Show and Kane fought to a no contest when the Nexus (Gabriel, Slater, Otunga & Harris) ran in and attacked both wrestlers. The interference let to a huge, show-closing brawl. First, the heel wrestlers joined the Nexus attack. Of course, the faces ran in, the heels quickly left and Otunga was left alone. The other Nexus members hesitated in the aisle and wanted to help him, but the faces had strength in numbers. The Nexus left as The Hart Dynasty, MVP and others were hitting their signature moves on Otunga. In the end, Kaval hit the very impressive looking “Warrior’s Way” to send everyone home happy.
This was a very good house show, one of the best I have seen. Although the in-ring action was sometimes sloppy, the show was very entertaining and the brawl at the end was very cool. As always I want to thank Frederiek Amerijckx for the tickets and the driving! Don’t forget het “We-gevoel”. See you guys in April for the Wrestlemania Revenge Tour!