Saul Stradlin sent this report in:
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla ran at the American Legion Hall in Reseda on Saturday night. The show started an hour and a half late due to the crowd being bigger than expected. At least 500 or so fans were in attendance, and the venue was very packed to the point where it was hard to get around and people were standing everywhere. The atmosphere was really amazing for this show.
1. Zokre over Scorpio Sky: Great high flying opener with some really cool spots. The finish saw Zokre get a pinning combination on Sky. Despite Sky’s feet being on the ropes, the referee ended the match which upset many of the fans in attendance.
2. B-Boy over TJ Perkins: B-Boy was making his PWG return in this match, while TJ was wrestling his final match in SoCal before moving to Florida. The match itself had some good moments, but would drag at some points. B-Boy and Perkins got the crowd back into the match when TJ teased getting a submission with an armbar, while B-Boy kept countering. Finish saw B-Boy forcing TJ to tap to a Rear Naked Choke. After the match both men got good ovations from the fans.
At this point in the show, Paul London came out to a huge ovation and cut a very strange promo. At some points he mentioned his comments in recent interviews, and apologized for his comments about Matt Sydal. He would go on to mention his time in the WWE and how he was happy to be back in the indy wrestling scene. Joey Ryan came out and trashed London, which lead to a quick scuffle between the two to build up the main event.
3. El Generico over Kenny Omega: Really solid match. Featured tons of comedy and Kenny Omega working the crowd. Referee Rick Knox ended up being involved in the match at some points, and built to him and Omega getting into a confrontation that saw Rick Knox hit a running clothesline on Omega. After that Generico hit a running Yakuza Kick and a Turnbuckle Brainbuster onto Omega to get the win. The finish to this match got a huge ovation from the crowd.
4. Austin Aries over Necro Butcher in a No Disqualification match: Aries did a really good job at being the heel here, teasing the fans about using weapons but not using them. The match went around the building and featured Aries wrapping a chain around his boot and hitting Necro with a running dropkick to the face with the chain on his boot. Finish saw Aries nail Necro with several hard chair shots and a brainbuster onto an open chair for the pinfall.
5. Chris Hero over Human Tornado & Colt Cabana to retain the PWG World Championship: The match started out with Hero and Tornado going one on one before a voice was heard over the PA. It turned out to be Colt Cabana aka Scott Goldman, who was released by WWE on Friday. Colt came out and said “released on a Friday, PWG on a Saturday” and asked to be included in the match. Pretty standard match triple threat that had the fans’ attention. Hero gets the win after pinning Tornado following some stuff elbow shots.
Post match Hero got on the mic and said that if Cabana wanted a title shot, he would give him one and finished this offer by calling him Scott. Cabana got on the mic and said he wasn’t sure about Scotty Goldman, but he knew Colt Cabana would love one. The two shook hands and then were interrupted by Tornado. He got on the mic and wanted to make peace with Hero, but Hero refused his peace offering to a lot of crowd heat.
6. Paul London & The Young Bucks over Joey Ryan, Scott Lost, & Karl Anderson: Anderson was making his PWG return in this match after an extended stay in New Japan Pro Wrestling. Great main event here. Too many spots to mention. London looked a little rusty in the middle of the match, but looked really good the rest of the time. The finish saw The Young Bucks hit their finisher, with Paul London hitting a SSP to get a pinfall victory for his team.
Post match, Paul London gave an emotional promo that was a lot more serious than his previous promo earlier that night. He put over the fans and said that the moment was one of the most special moments of his life and he thanked everyone for supporting him. After everyone left the ring, Paul stayed in the ring and signed autographs and took photos with everyone who stuck around after the show.
Great show. Tremendous atmosphere, fun wrestling, and cool little stories told through out the show. The crowd was an actual standing room only crowd and everyone had a good time. Hope to see more of Paul London in PWG, as he seemed to really enjoy working the show.
Steven Ashe sent this in:
After 7 cancellations in 2 days Ontario All Pro Wrestling returned with one hell of a show.
Saturday February 21st 2009
15 Harmony Rd. N
Ontario All Pro Wrestling
Attendance: 67 people
Referee’s : Chris the Ref
Julias Dulce vs. Cornelius Cowerite vs. Jimmy Wider vs. Cody Shore(6 min)
Sex Drugs and wrestling’s newest members Mike Rollins and Corey Mason followed Kris Chambers into the ring to attack all 4 men.
Kris Chambers said that Michael Elgin couldn’t wrestle due to a separated shoulder and that he was afraid of Chambers. Elgin stepped out from the concession tables to confront Chambers.
Kris got into Elgin’s face and started yelling, Elgin spit his chew on Kris’s Chest. Mike Rollins and Corey Mason jumped Elgin for a beat down until Scotty O’Shea and Suicide Kidz made the save.
Elgin said he would compete tonight.
Mike Rollins defeated Kobra Kai with a seated Border City Stretch.
Checkmate, Bishop and Lionel Knight defeated Suicide Kidz, Extremo and Cody 45 to become the first ever Ontario All Pro Tag team champions. After the ref was down and Xtremo had Lionel pinned with the 450 Bishop used the chair to lay out 45 and Xtremo to put Lionel on top for the win.
Flatliners came out and powerbombed Bishop ontop of Lionel and Cody 45 through a table.
4 WAY ELIMINATION LADDERS ARE LEGAL.
Corey Mason vs. Scotty O’Shea vs. Prophet Jeremy Barnoff vs. Ethan Page. (13 min)
Page eliminated Prophet.
O’Shea eliminated Page
Mason eliminated O’Shea with the help from Mike Rollins.
Flatliners, Asylum and Matt Burns def. Revolucha’s, Sombra and Angel de Guerra (12 min)
After the win Flatliners declared they were the best tag team in all of Ontario and that on April 19th they want the Suicide Kidz and Checkmate in a 3 Corner Tag Tables Match.
TEXAS BULLROPE GRUDGE MATCH
Kris Chambers w/Cherry Bomb and Mike Rollins def. Michael Elgin (20 min)
In this grueling match which saw Elgin’s already injured shoulder beaten badly with the cow bell, Also saw Kris Chambers choke slammed from the apron through a Table. Through all the chaos and back and forth intense action, some questions were answered to the mysterious email’s and messages. After Kris Chambers hit an Elbow drop the light’s in the Harmony Hall went out, and a strange music began to play over the sound system. after about a minute in the DARKNESS and the lights turn back on. MIKE STEVENS is in the ring with a steel chair and takes out Mike Rollins and Kris Chambers. Michael Elgin is getting up and bumps back to back when they face each other both men just stop. Elgin’s asks Stevens where has he been, Stevens replies in your worst nightmares and hit’s Elgin with the steel chair. Stevens then drapes Chambers over Elgin and leaves.
Set for ONTARIO ALL PRO WRESTLING
HELL or HIGH WATER
Sunday April 19th
Triple Crown Tournament
Michael Elgin vs. M-Dogg 20
Kris Chambers vs. ?
Bobby Fish vs. ?
Sami Callihan vs. Mike Rollins
3 CORNER TAG TEAM TABLES TITLE MATCH
Checkmate (C) vs. Suicide Kidz vs. Flatliners
………….Sami Callihan ended up pulling off due to Chikara but has given me his word that he will be here on April 19th. We apologize to the great fans of Oshawa that wanted to see Callihan.
Steven Ashe also sent this in:
The Announcement was made to media just moments prior to AWWL’s Feb 21st event in Hamilton, Ontario at the Studio Place Theatre. AWWL returns to Hamilton Apr 3rd for the first television tapings for the new show.
owie.ca will have more details of this story and the Feb 21st event posted on Monday, Fed 23rd!
Quick Results of the Hamilton Event:
Saturday, Feb 21 2009
BIG TIME WRESTLING
Studio Place Theatre
Ring Announcer: Greg Boddam
Referees: Dave Linton, Jon Rotten
1) “The Outlaw” Jessy Dunn w/ Blackjack Phoenix & Roderick Stone def Marvel [5 min]
2) Handicap Match:
Sniper def Marcus & Zakk w/ Troy [8 min]
-AWWL’s newest talent agent, Zander Martin came to the ring with his bodyguard, The Iceman. Zander, the self-proclaimed “brightest light on the Las Vegas strip” declared that he was in AWWL to become the greatest manager in the world. He demanded that a referee and “anyone who wants to get beat up” come to the ring and wrestle his bodyguard. Jose Suave answered the call…
3) The Iceman w/ Zander Martin def Jose Suave [6 min]
4) Qualifying Match For New Canadian Championship:
Roderick Strong w/ Blackjack Phoenix & Jessy Dunn def Troy [12 min]
5) Qualifying Match For New Canadian Championship:
“Go Time” Chris Laplante def Frank Stein [8 min]
6) Inferno def “Asian Nightmare” Kwan Chang [8 min]
7) Dano Strongbow & Tim Horner Jr def The Italianos [7 min]
8) 20 Man Canadian Scramble Match – for a world title shot at the Apr 3rd tv tapings
2 man start. 2 more men enter every 60 seconds. Eliminations by Over the top rope to floor, Pinfall or Submission
Winner: Tim Horner Jr. [19 min]
Other competitors: Zakk, Marvel, Frank Stein, Troy, Kwan Chang, Jessy Dunn, Marcus, The Iceman, Pistol Pete, Roderick Stone, Jose Suave, Sniper, Chris Laplante, Tony Carbonie, Primo Scordino, Dano Strongbow, Zander Martin
9) AWWL World Heavyweight Championship:
Defending Champion, Blackjack Phoenix retained his title against Whipdog Johnson [11 min]
Blackjack’s cronies, Jessy Dunn & Roderick Stone interfered in the match by distracting the ref and tossing Blackjack brassknuckles. The Champion slugged Whipdog, scored the pinfall and was announced the winner. Tim Horner Jr ran to the ring and informed the official about the knuckles and a search of the turnbuckle pad revealed them. The official reversed the decision and awarded the match to Whipdog by Disqualification.
Blackjack and Horner brawled out of the arena after the announcement.
As winner of the Canadian Scramble Match, Tim Horner Jr will challenge Blackjack Phoenix for the title April 3rd when AWWL returns to present Big Time Wrestling’s first tv tapings.
More details about this huge AWWL Fight Network deal announcement, Saturday’s Hamilton event and future events will be posted on owie.ca this Monday.