Back in 2018, well prior to the Warner Bros. and Discovery Networks merger, Warner Bros. announced the development of “Coyote vs. Acme,” which would be full-length feature film based around the “Looney Tunes” character Wile E. Coyote.
Last November, per the The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. Discovery shelved the film.
Now According to The Wrap, producer Chris DeFaria received a phone call from a Warner Bros. executive in January expressing a desire to now just move on from the film project.
Warner Bros. had previously reversed their decision to cancel the movie, allowing filmmakers to shop the movie around to other possible studios for an official release. The Wrap report also notes now with WBD’s fourth-quarter earnings call scheduled for Friday, February 23 the belief is those on the film’s team is that WBD will instead take a tax write-off and just shelve the film project indefinitely.
The Wrap also reports several sources said “Coyote vs. Acme” had screenings with Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount, all with big money offers. Paramount’s offer reportedly included a proposed theatrical release. It was further noted Warner Bros. Discovery has been seeking a $75-80 million range, while still factoring in the $35-40 million they could receive as a tax write-off.
The Wrap further reports Warner Bros. Discovery Executives David Zaslav, Michael De Luca, Bill Damaschke and Pam Abdy had not even seen the finished version of the movie. It was said that Zaslav never actually watched the movie. De Luca and Abdy viewed a director’s cut version of the film, and Damaschke saw the first audience preview.
It is worth noting that ‘Coyote vs. Acme’ was brought into development by the former regime prior to Warner Bros’ merger with Discovery in April 2022.